Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: tsinsf on September 15, 2025, 05:42:13 pm

Title: Which Focus Stacking settings to choose (# of photos, distance factor) Canon R5
Post by: tsinsf on September 15, 2025, 05:42:13 pm


I only shoot landscapes, and with my old Canon 5DIV I would often focus stack, typically only three or four photos. So if I am trying to mimic my manual focusing (three or four shots, foreground, mid ground, and background), would I choose the same number of photos that I would have myself chosen? And then, what distance factor between one and ten?

Another question, Is there any downside (other than unneccesary memory space taken) to choose more photos than I need?

My new camera is Canon R5, and my two R lenses are 24-105 f/4 and 70-200 f/4
Title: Re: Which Focus Stacking settings to choose (# of photos, distance factor) Canon R5
Post by: PeterAit on September 16, 2025, 09:11:46 pm
I assume the camera has its own stacking routine?

If the old way has been working, why change?