Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 04, 2025, 07:18:48 am

Title: two damselflies
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 04, 2025, 07:18:48 am
Near Manchester, early this morning.

Jeremy
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: francois on June 04, 2025, 07:37:04 am
Wow, I love the muted colors. Jeremy, you're becoming an expert.
Well done.
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 04, 2025, 08:08:50 am
Wow, I love the muted colors. Jeremy, you're becoming an expert.
Well done.

+1
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: degrub on June 04, 2025, 09:17:10 am
They must be American political flies.....
Very nicely done !
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: Chris Kern on June 04, 2025, 12:03:18 pm
Handheld?  90mm lens?  impressive.  Tight crop?
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 04, 2025, 12:11:33 pm
Handheld?  90mm lens?  impressive.  Tight crop?

Tripod; 20-shot focus blend; A7Riv with Sony 90mm macro (really great lens), 1/200, f/8, ISO 2500. Slight crop, to 8500x5700 pixels. Taking the shots took me about 15 seconds. The A7Riv's focus peaking is fantastically useful for this kind of macro work.

Jeremy
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 04, 2025, 12:14:23 pm
Wow, I love the muted colors. Jeremy, you're becoming an expert.
Well done.

Thanks. I've had a very good teacher, a fellow member of my local camera club who was with me this morning. His site is here (http://artofmacro.com) and well worth a look.

Jeremy
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: UnfamiliarLight on June 04, 2025, 01:30:48 pm
Thanks. I've had a very good teacher, a fellow member of my local camera club who was with me this morning. His site is here (http://artofmacro.com) and well worth a look.

Jeremy

Wow, they are stunning. You mentioned else where that your camera doesn't take focus stacking images automatically. So, question or you are you using a rail and adjusting a little distance at at time? Or is this Something else?
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 04, 2025, 02:14:09 pm
Thanks!

I change focus manually. Cable release in left hand, focus ring in right, shoot, turn a tiny fraction and repeat, carefully watching the zebra stripes as they track their way down the insect. It's suboptimal, but I can't justify buying the A7Rv, which does have focus bracketing, merely for that. Maybe I'll get an A7Rvi, when and if it's announced.

Tony (my teacher) has just acquired an Olympus which has bracketing. Says it's changed his life.

Jeremy
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: UnfamiliarLight on June 04, 2025, 03:05:02 pm
Thanks!

I change focus manually. Cable release in left hand, focus ring in right, shoot, turn a tiny fraction and repeat, carefully watching the zebra stripes as they track their way down the insect. It's suboptimal, but I can't justify buying the A7Rv, which does have focus bracketing, merely for that. Maybe I'll get an A7Rvi, when and if it's announced.

Tony (my teacher) has just acquired an Olympus which has bracketing. Says it's changed his life.

Jeremy

Ah cool. I will have to give that a try. I have been using a rail and doing it blind. Good idea using the live view (my a DSLR still) with the focus marks on. Sounds promising.
Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: PeterAit on June 05, 2025, 05:18:20 pm
Thanks!

I change focus manually. Cable release in left hand, focus ring in right, shoot, turn a tiny fraction and repeat, carefully watching the zebra stripes as they track their way down the insect. It's suboptimal, but I can't justify buying the A7Rv, which does have focus bracketing, merely for that. Maybe I'll get an A7Rvi, when and if it's announced.

Tony (my teacher) has just acquired an Olympus which has bracketing. Says it's changed his life.

Jeremy


The A7-R5 does not have focus bracketing. I wish it did.

Title: Re: two damselflies
Post by: wcarlew on June 07, 2025, 05:26:55 am

The A7-R5 does not have focus bracketing. I wish it did.

The A7RV does have focus bracketing, under drive mode and scroll down.