Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: William Walker on May 08, 2025, 08:40:29 am
-
After becoming very frustrated with Canon, Adobe and Apple, and whoever else might be to blame, I gave in and forced myself to learn to print with Canon Professional Print & Layout.
I must say that I am very happy with my results and have become quire comfortable with the whole thing.
I do have two questions though...
1. Do you use "Use Contrast Reproduction" and "Use Depth Information"? And..
2. I have two custom media settings where these options are not responsive - clicking on them does nothing. They work fine on others.
I am pretty sure it has something to do with a setting during Custom Media creation - can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks, William.
-
I personally don't use either option... they are shortcuts to apply Canon's own sharpening algorithms and I prefer to do my print sharpening myself (I use Nik Output Sharpener in Photoshop and with my own masking). If you like the way it Contrast Reproduction looks, then by all means use it, it's a personal preference. Use Depth Information will only work if you are directly printing CR2 files and you have dual pixel RAW enabled which, at least for me, isn't the case.
-
I started to use Professional Print and Layout because I could not get Lightroom Classic or PS to correctly manage color using the ICC profile. I have been using the "Contrast" check box, but as said in the previous reply, there is no depth information in my files so that box is meaningless.
My results seem fine and I am currently satisfied with this approach to printing.
M1 Max MacBook Pro
64GB memory
Canon Pro-310 purchased in April 2025
-
I think I have gone some way to working this out.
When creating the Media Settings, Hahnemühle recommends "Media: Heavyweight Fine Art Paper".
Canon has (amongst others) two options: "Heavyweight Fine Art Paper" and "Fine Art Heavyweight Photo".
If you use "Heavyweight Fine Art Paper" the option to "Use Contrast Reproduction" and "Use Depth Information" is not available.
The two options are available with"Fine Art Heavyweight Photo".
It would be interesting to know why... ::)
-
I think I have gone some way to working this out.
When creating the Media Settings, Hahnemühle recommends "Media: Heavyweight Fine Art Paper".
Canon has (amongst others) two options: "Heavyweight Fine Art Paper" and "Fine Art Heavyweight Photo".
If you use "Heavyweight Fine Art Paper" the option to "Use Contrast Reproduction" and "Use Depth Information" is not available.
The two options are available with"Fine Art Heavyweight Photo".
It would be interesting to know why... ::)
Fine Art Heavyweight Photo is a setting for PK media, and Heavyweight Fine Art Paper is for MK media - personally I use Mirage Print, but as far as I remember it's for PK media only.
-
Fine Art Heavyweight Photo is a setting for PK media, and Heavyweight Fine Art Paper is for MK media - personally I use Mirage Print, but as far as I remember it's for PK media only.
Hi Marcin, according to the Media Configuration Tool the Heavyweight Photo is MBK and the Fine Art is for both...! (See Photos)
I created the Custom Media Files for both Hahnemühle Photo Rag and Museum Etching using "Heavyweight Photo"!!
I have been printing with it that way for a year and it seems fine...would you create new files using the "Fine Art"??