Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: maddogmurph on March 23, 2025, 12:02:19 pm

Title: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: maddogmurph on March 23, 2025, 12:02:19 pm
I guess after not doing much shooting or editing for nearly a year, I'm inspired to create once again. It's an invigorating feeling.

I've also noticed technology has taken the typical move forward, with new released both of my R5, and the Fuji GFX100S - and although I see there is a slight boost in dynamic range at the low end, and perhaps noise reduction, it's basically the same camera. I've also noticed the IQ4 from Phase One can now be had for about $24k, which is within reach, and tempting for the boost in Dynamic range. I was next to a Phase One ambassador in Stetind Norway, and the photos that come out of that camera seem to have a natural color balance that's better than any other, not to mention image quality which is obviously the main attraction. I do pretty well with my tools though, and there's no need for such a fine instrument, only a desire to be shooting on the very best. I guess I'm truly an American, with that constant desire to consume something I don't really need, but want. A generation of advertisements... perhaps successful, but I know I'm in good company because some of you want that toy as well...But the toy I'm perhaps most excited about right now is the Mavic Pro 4 with 52 minutes of flight time. Epic.
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: francois on March 26, 2025, 11:34:17 am
Your trip to Norway brought back some stunning shots. Congrats.
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 27, 2025, 08:19:51 am
Great set. It's a fantastic part of the world.

Jeremy
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: MattBurt on March 27, 2025, 10:58:55 am
Well your current gear certainly doesn't seem to be holding you back. Wonderful set!
I especially like the third one. Did you focus stack? Very nicely executed however you did it.
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: maddogmurph on March 27, 2025, 04:27:58 pm
I was lazy on that one. I didn't focus stack, I just shot it at F22 or something high (so I didn't have to screw on a filter), probably hand held at like 1/10th of a second (the internal image stabilizers on the R5 are a bit hit or miss but if you shoot 5 shots or so one or two usually end up as sharp as a tripod) with my hand braced on the rock (I might have used my tripod, I'm not always that lazy), and at 11MM (so generally everything is in focus, but I cropped out the bottom), so you get the distortion of the mountain at the top of frame which makes it look taller and more pronounced without any photoshop trickery (stretching).

Well your current gear certainly doesn't seem to be holding you back. Wonderful set!
I especially like the third one. Did you focus stack? Very nicely executed however you did it.
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on April 21, 2025, 04:29:56 pm
All really good, but shot 2 is outstanding - Bravo!!!!

Dave
Title: Re: More Inspiration From Arctic Norway
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 22, 2025, 12:21:38 am
Great set.