Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 01, 2025, 07:38:19 am

Title: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 01, 2025, 07:38:19 am
In mid-November 2024 my wife and I went to Iceland, for our 9-day Workshop there and an extra 8 days dedicated to my personal work.

Out of all our late 2024 destinations, Iceland was the one that worried me the most. Snowy and icy grounds, high speed winds, sand, moving water when photographing in rivers, waterfall spray, ocean spray, snow and rain, made Iceland possibly the destination least friendly to 4×5” photography of all those we visited since I started working with 4×5” film in September 2024.

To prevent this, in Iceland I was even more careful than usual about my tripod technique. I used all the tricks I knew, and that paid off. We found seriously difficult conditions, and while I did end up losing some long exposure photographs to micro-movement, I lost way less than I feared I would.

I just posted a blog article about this trip, including a 16-photographs Portfolio and my recommended Workflow for maximising results when shooting in adverse conditions. You can find it following the link below:

ICELAND: A 4x5" PORTFOLIO (https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2025/02/iceland-a-4x5-portfolio.html)

Below you'll find a few photographs out the Portfolio for you to enjoy:

(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/2024_11_13_Arca_FP4_0046.jpg)

(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/2024_11_13_Arca_FP4_0028.jpg)

(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/2024_11_13_Arca_FP4_0010.jpg)

(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/2024_11_13_Arca_FP4_0030.jpg)

All photographs have been taken with Ilford FP4+, rated at 100 ISO, and developed in Pyrocat-HD for 12 minutes and 30 seconds, 30 seconds of agitation at start followed by 2 agitations per minute. The film has been pre-washed in water for 5 minutes prior to developing.

Best regards,

Vieri
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 06, 2025, 10:38:21 pm
Wonderful.
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: langier on March 06, 2025, 10:58:37 pm
Well done, Vieri!
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on March 07, 2025, 11:12:46 am
Well done, Vieri!

Thank you very much, Larry, glad you liked them! :)

Wonderful.

Thank you very much Paulo, happy you enjoyed these! :)
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: maddogmurph on April 07, 2025, 01:23:02 am
Very nice work!
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on April 11, 2025, 11:03:36 am
Very nice work!

Thank you very much, Murph, glad you enjoyed them! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: MattBurt on April 16, 2025, 06:51:31 pm
Excellent!
Title: Re: Iceland: a 4x5" Portfolio
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on April 18, 2025, 04:52:25 am
Excellent!

Hey Matt, thank you very much, glad you enjoyed these! :) Best regards,

Vieri