Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dgberg on February 15, 2025, 01:16:25 pm

Title: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: dgberg on February 15, 2025, 01:16:25 pm
A new one for me. The grid is not in the file on screen but when printed you can easily see it.
I missed it and sent the print to the client and of course she brought it to my attention.
Tried two different papers with the appropriate profile and it is on both. Could it be something in the way it was processed?
Printing with Lightroom Classic on a Mac 15.1.1
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: dgberg on February 15, 2025, 03:24:37 pm
I found the issue, noise. The noise in the image when removed with Topaz Denoise makes a perfect print.
Have never seen an images noise printed as a pattern like that. Most times you get an exact reproduction of the noise you are seeing not something else.
Any ideas?
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: degrub on February 15, 2025, 03:43:54 pm
Maybe from previous compression/resizing or same in the printing pipeline ?
Looked a little like moire' patterns.
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: aaronleitz on February 15, 2025, 08:01:06 pm
That's really weird.

A year or two ago I bought Topaz Gigapixel AI to uprez some images for large printing and the process left a strange grid artifact in the images similar to what you're seeing (though the gridlines were thinner). It was easy to miss if you weren't looking for it. I couldn't get the pattern to go away and Topaz support was of no help so I stopped using the software.

Was the original file uprezzed by your client?

Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: dgberg on February 16, 2025, 10:08:05 am
I will have to ask. I don’t believe so as the prints were quite small. Anyway. With the noise gone they now print perfect. Very strange indeed.
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 16, 2025, 12:55:21 pm
I've seen something similar in raw images taken on my Sony A7Riv at very high ISO (40,000-52,000), after the initial rendering in LR. Following denoise in LR (I've not tried Topaz), it went away. It is certainly jolly strange.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: Lessbones on February 16, 2025, 03:45:48 pm
if getting rid of the noise fixed it then it's gotta be moire from the process of converting from the native dpi of the file to the printer's screening algorithm.  Same type of thing happens when scanning an image with a halftone screening pattern-- inkjet printers generally use FM screening to try to hide the dot pattern, but since it still exists it will once in a while cause a visual issue like this.
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: Czornyj on February 16, 2025, 11:04:17 pm
+1 it’s moiré from scanned halftone screening 99%
Title: Re: Where might this screen grid be coming from?
Post by: dgberg on February 17, 2025, 07:37:34 am
Very interesting, thanks guys. Learn something new every day.