Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on January 18, 2025, 04:53:19 pm
-
Today, I had a painter in doing the preparatory work on my kitchen ceiling, prior to his return tomorrow to do the final coat.
Depressing, in several ways, the greatest of them all being that this is the first time in my life that I have had to employ someone to do it for me: I simply lack the physical strength to do it myself. This is seriously not fun. My mind goes back to the many times that I painted the interior of my original pad in Scotland, and the later one here in Spain. It was hard labour working above my head, but I actually kinda enjoyed doing the walls; it was probably mildly therapeutic. Oh well, both now beyond me.
After the guy left, I felt the need to lift my spirits a bit, and so giving the almost perpetual Spotify a rest, I had a browse through my collection of CDs and discovered a long-forgotten triple box of Glenn Miller standards. Wow. How touching and sweet it was hearing again the sound of Moonlight Serenade… It’s difficult to reconcile the disappearance of those sorts of bands with the much more frenetic if vacuous music that came after rock ‘n’ roll. I wonder how many people under forty have even heard of Miller, or have the slightest idea of what became of him?
-
Today, I had a painter in doing the preparatory work on my kitchen ceiling, prior to his return tomorrow to do the final coat.
Depressing, in several ways, the greatest of them all being that this is the first time in my life that I have had to employ someone to do it for me: I simply lack the physical strength to do it myself. This is seriously not fun. My mind goes back to the many times that I painted the interior of my original pad in Scotland, and the later one here in Spain. It was hard labour working above my head, but I actually kinda enjoyed doing the walls; it was probably mildly therapeutic. Oh well, both now beyond me.
After the guy left, I felt the need to lift my spirits a bit, and so giving the almost perpetual Spotify a rest, I had a browse through my collection of CDs and discovered a long-forgotten triple box of Glenn Miller standards. Wow. How touching and sweet it was hearing again the sound of Moonlight Serenade… It’s difficult to reconcile the disappearance of those sorts of bands with the much more frenetic if vacuous music that came after rock ‘n’ roll. I wonder how many people under forty have even heard of Miller, or have the slightest idea of what became of him?
I have never enjoyed DIY home renovation. I have done it, sometimes with success but I never derived any sense of satisfaction from it. I did it because it needed doing, a bit like washing dishes or doing laundry. By hiring others you are giving them the opportunity to do something useful for other people in much the same way that people used to hire you. Make the guy a coffee or two, chat, enjoy his company. You could take photos of him, maybe he can use the images in his marketing. Years ago we had two young guys reface our kitchen cupboards and I made a time lapse of their work. Last time I looked a clip from it was still on their web site. I am pretty certain that none of the software I wrote during 25 years in the IT industry is being used anymore.
You prompted me to clear up a mystery. There is an exit on highway 401 in Trenton, Ontario called Glen Miller Road and not far from there is a nature park called the Glen Miller Conservation Area. I never understood the connection to the musician and it turns out there isn't one. Those places were named after someone else.
-
I have never enjoyed DIY home renovation. I have done it, sometimes with success but I never derived any sense of satisfaction from it. I did it because it needed doing, a bit like washing dishes or doing laundry. By hiring others you are giving them the opportunity to do something useful for other people in much the same way that people used to hire you. Make the guy a coffee or two, chat, enjoy his company. You could take photos of him, maybe he can use the images in his marketing. Years ago we had two young guys reface our kitchen cupboards and I made a time lapse of their work. Last time I looked a clip from it was still on their web site. I am pretty certain that none of the software I wrote during 25 years in the IT industry is being used anymore.
You prompted me to clear up a mystery. There is an exit on highway 401 in Trenton, Ontario called Glen Miller Road and not far from there is a nature park called the Glen Miller Conservation Area. I never understood the connection to the musician and it turns out there isn't one. Those places were named after someone else.
The secret’s in the double “n” in musical Glenn. ;-)
-
The secret’s in the double “n” in musical Glenn. ;-)
Now every time I drive past that location in the future I am going to remember this forum thread.
-
Now every time I drive past that location in the future I am going to remember this forum thread.
You see? We’re Making LuLa Great Again!
;-)
-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHeBSgj5J8
You may remember the old - I think original - version by Little Richard.
Here, on the longer Delaney and Bonnie track, it’s still L.R. on piano with a totally different take. I wonder how he managed to avoid falling back into his original version… aren’t musicians wonderful? I used to play that original Richard track to my wife. She didn’t seem that impressed. But then again, she enjoyed The Student Prince, whereas I believe that I actually dozed off in the cinema for the one and only time in my life. How rude!
-
Listening to some Buddy Holly music on the Internet, I was kinda surprised how much of his oeuvre remained hidden from those who didn’t buy his discs, just listened on the radio.
I never thought of him as a rock’n’roll singer - he was too sweet and gentle. The hours of his music I have now listened to on Spotify sort of confirm that impression. That said, he did do romantic/pop very convincingly.
There are many things wrong with the way that streaming services deal with artists, but from the perspective of revealing the extent of their talents, there, they do no wrong.
-
My dad was a big Glenn Miller fan but his was an even bigger fan of Benny Goodman.
I think anyone who listens to or plays much jazz certainly would know who Miller was and would be somewhat familiar with some of his contributions. I just heard a modern jazz artist tease a little Take the A Train in a solo recently which I appreciated. I think United Airlines still uses Rhapsody in Blue in their safety videos too.
My favorite jazz leans more to the contemporary side of things but like with so many things understanding the past gives us greater insight into the present.
-
Roy Orbison is up there in my book.
-
This evening, facing the horror of doing the day’s dishes, I wondered who would step in and help me drift away into lands afar and places otherwise forgotten.
For no apparent reason, I thought of LuLa and recalled posting a link to a Julie London number. I haven’t thought of her in years. Wow! What a delightful rediscovery! The hour passed in no time, and breakfast set for mañana, I’m on the sofa, my ears on, and that wonderful voice telling me that “I’m in the mood for love”… right, fine. She did a great version of Sinatra’s “One for the road” - Capitol Records. Figures.
They did some great music for listening to, back in the 40s and 50s.
-
This evening, facing the horror of doing the day’s dishes, I wondered who would step in and help me drift away into lands afar and places otherwise forgotten.
For no apparent reason, I thought of LuLa and recalled posting a link to a Julie London number. I haven’t thought of her in years. Wow! What a delightful rediscovery! The hour passed in no time, and breakfast set for mañana, I’m on the sofa, my ears on, and that wonderful voice telling me that “I’m in the mood for love”… right, fine. She did a great version of Sinatra’s “One for the road” - Capitol Records. Figures.
They did some great music for listening to, back in the 40s and 50s.
Fine living, indeed :)
-
This was new to me:
Cheatin’ Traces by Clarence Frogman Henry.
Can’t make a link because it’s on Spotify, but if you go to google and type in the line above, up it pops.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ErONC0O0k&feature=shared
This ones nice, too.
-
Glenn Miller here!
-
Glenn Miller here!
Nuttin’ wrong with him - other than he ain’t here anymore.
I often ask myself why the AfAm musicians gave up on the magical stuff that they could do, that whites could only copy - at best - and throw it all away for the junk (to me!) that came after Tamla Motown. Soul… that’s what music’s about, not grabbing your crotch, forgetting to tighten up your belt or braces, and racing the words until they become unintelligible. ;-(
-
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hldxaZi0Nbw&feature=shared
If I could do any of this I would be famous, and not need to try the lottery every week. Actually, the latter is making me more poor every week, so I suppose that’s progress, in a way. ;-(
-
https://youtube.com/watch?v=D_oayB_o23I&feature=shared
Old one… to think he blew his brains out - by stupid accident.