Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Benny Profane on December 14, 2024, 10:20:20 am

Title: Lazer Printer
Post by: Benny Profane on December 14, 2024, 10:20:20 am
Does anybody use a lazer printer in their initial workflow? I'm thinking of getting one as an all around printer in the office, but, would like to see some crude printouts of new ideas, too. Are some pretty good with profiles and calibration? You know, to a certain point, of course. Is there a good paper, also, for this application? What's the best brand?
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: digitaldog on December 14, 2024, 12:02:45 pm
Are some pretty good with profiles and calibration?
Not at all.
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: Ryan Mack on December 14, 2024, 05:50:08 pm
Not recommended for photography or artwork of a non-clipart nature.
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: Benny Profane on December 14, 2024, 09:06:15 pm
Yeah, sure, but some have to reproduce photos fairly well. Which are best? Or do I have to go to Amazon reviews?
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: digitaldog on December 14, 2024, 11:01:15 pm
Yeah, sure, but some have to reproduce photos fairly well. Which are best? Or do I have to go to Amazon reviews?
Amazon reviews and profiling such printers; go man.
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: markgunion on December 14, 2024, 11:58:20 pm
FWIW -- I have an HP "LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw".   It has four cartridges:  black, cyan, magenta, yellow.   The manual says the printer can be profiled, but I took that with a grain of salt.   I've never had a good reason to profile it, so I can't tell you what "success" looks like.    Out of the box, the colors are in the ballpark ..... the same way that far left-center is close to second base.     I use it for looking at layout, not for any other purpose.    Not to say it can't be done.    Let us know how it goes.
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: digitaldog on December 15, 2024, 12:14:16 am
You can profile virtually any printer. And when the output behavior changes, for some massively, that profile is worthless.
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: Czornyj on December 15, 2024, 10:54:37 am
Only production laser printers with RIP are stable, can be linearized, profiled and have fairly decent quality. But these are huge and cost a fortune. Inkjet is much better idea - I own MegaTank series Canon PiXMA G640, it’s inexpensive and has crazy cheap consumables, but still offers much better photo quality than my production Canon imagePRESS C650 with EFI Fiery RIP
Title: Re: Lazer Printer
Post by: dgberg on December 17, 2024, 09:50:48 am
Just get a ET-8550 for the photos if you are not expecting to go big.
Yes it is dye ink but the output on hi gloss paper and white film is just stunning.
Cheap too.