Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Capture One Q&A => Topic started by: indusphoto on November 27, 2024, 10:19:51 pm

Title: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: indusphoto on November 27, 2024, 10:19:51 pm
I own Capture One 2023 (16.2.6). I was looking into upgrading now as it looks like the masking updates are useful and there maybe BF sale.

However, I also plan to upgrade my camera to A1 II. I am not sure if Capture one provides camera updates or if it is absolutely "it is what it is" basis. In their licensing FAQ, it does not mention anything about camera support updates, so I guess that the answer is no. A license purchased will be fixed in time and there wont be camera updates for them.

Is my assumption correct?
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: Manoli on November 28, 2024, 04:25:36 am
After 14th of February 2023, new perpetual license purchases do not include any feature updates (16.x)

This means that any updates containing new features and functionality will not be included in your license purchase. However, major bug fixes and optimizations will be included (16.x.x) until a new paid version is released (16.x).
As a subscription always provides you with access to the latest version, subscribers are not affected by these changes.

Capture One - new licence models (https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/7998068628637-New-License-Model-Changes-to-the-way-licensing-updates-and-upgrades-work)



I own Capture One 2023 (16.2.6). I was looking into upgrading now as it looks like the masking updates are useful and there maybe BF sale.

However, I also plan to upgrade my camera to A1 II. I am not sure if Capture one provides camera updates or if it is absolutely "it is what it is" basis. In their licensing FAQ, it does not mention anything about camera support updates, so I guess that the answer is no. A license purchased will be fixed in time and there wont be camera updates for them.

Is my assumption correct?
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: indusphoto on November 28, 2024, 06:58:17 pm
I have read this and that is the reason I am still unclear.

Is new camera support considered bug-fix update or feature update ?

After 14th of February 2023, new perpetual license purchases do not include any feature updates (16.x)

This means that any updates containing new features and functionality will not be included in your license purchase. However, major bug fixes and optimizations will be included (16.x.x) until a new paid version is released (16.x).
As a subscription always provides you with access to the latest version, subscribers are not affected by these changes.

Capture One - new licence models (https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/7998068628637-New-License-Model-Changes-to-the-way-licensing-updates-and-upgrades-work)
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: Manoli on November 29, 2024, 04:24:41 am
Is new camera support considered bug-fix update or feature update ?

Depends.

Interim updates are released throught the version cycle (somewhere between 6-8 releases).
New cameras are added as and when.
If your new camera is added within that version period it will be included in the update.
If its added after a new version (16.x) release it will not be included.

Camera models supported by Capture One (and their version release) (https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002718118-Camera-Models-and-RAW-Files-Supported-by-Capture-One#h_e31f8dc2-40f0-43ca-acf8-b043d20d08e4)
Capture One Release Notes (https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/sections/14360628843293-Capture-One-16-3-and-newer)
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: indusphoto on November 30, 2024, 12:47:46 pm
Oh. OK.

Thanks for clarification.
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: digitaldog on November 30, 2024, 01:09:34 pm
Is new camera support considered bug-fix update or feature update ?
If you convert proprietary raws to an openly documented raw format (DNG) and, the converter will support DNG as it should, and this will never be an issue.
And yes, keep bitching at all the camera companies for producing a new, proprietary raw format with each camera which they do not need ever to do.
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: Manoli on November 30, 2024, 05:23:38 pm
… and, the converter will support DNG as it should, and this will never be an issue.

Something that, from memory, Capture One does not do ‘fully’ or as well as it should.
Perhaps, Andrew, you could shed some light on this ? (Memories of the vibrant discussions with Schewe and Bart van der Wolf on this, some time ago).
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: digitaldog on November 30, 2024, 06:48:33 pm
Something that, from memory, Capture One does not do ‘fully’ or as well as it should.
Perhaps, Andrew, you could shed some light on this ? (Memories of the vibrant discussions with Schewe and Bart van der Wolf on this, some time ago).
No idea what C1 doesn't do, but if they don't, it's on them. It's like saying software company X can't deal with a JPEG or TIFF. There's no excuse. DNG is a free to use, openly documented raw file format.
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: Manoli on December 02, 2024, 06:24:43 am
No idea what C1 doesn't do, but if they don't, it's on them...

Andrew, the earlier post was not 'do they, don't they' ?
'twas 'Something that, from memory, Capture One does not do ‘fully’ or as well as it should.'

But just to refresh those ageing memory cells,

Oh it 'works' but not fully unless things have changed since I last tried to use custom .DCP profile:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127023.msg1072310#msg1072310

(another two of many more ...)

Proprietary RAW formats ... / Michael's DNG comment (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=69463.msg550246#msg550246)
DNG puzzle (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127027.msg1072957#msg1072957)



Anyway, the OP's question is answered,
So I'm out ...
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: narikin on March 10, 2025, 12:28:32 pm
After 14th of February 2023, new perpetual license purchases do not include any feature updates (16.x)

This means that any updates containing new features and functionality will not be included in your license purchase. However, major bug fixes and optimizations will be included (16.x.x) until a new paid version is released (16.x).
As a subscription always provides you with access to the latest version, subscribers are not affected by these changes.

All these shenanigans by Capture One, are just forcing me to hold out for as long as I possibly can before upgrading.

I'm fed up with every monthly 'subscription' bleeding me dry.  It's exhausting keeping tabs on them all.
Title: Re: Buy new license now or wait
Post by: UnfamiliarLight on March 26, 2025, 02:48:07 pm
All these shenanigans by Capture One, are just forcing me to hold out for as long as I possibly can before upgrading.

I'm fed up with every monthly 'subscription' bleeding me dry.  It's exhausting keeping tabs on them all.

Yep. Unless some feature gets added that I really want I'll be waiting for a while before I upgrade.