Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: PhR on November 04, 2024, 11:50:17 am
-
I would like to try doing a direct print of some of my images on brushed aluminum using one of my pigment printers (Epson 3880 or Canon 6400).
Whitewall proposes a direct print on brushed aluminum Dibon (with UV inks) but it is too thick for my printers. Elger Esser printed some of his beautiful images on a silver-coated copper plate (here (https://brucesilverstein.com/artists/159-elger-esser/series/landscapes---silverplate/)) I could see one at Paris Photo and it was gorgeous.
So I am looking at brushed aluminium foils of 0.5 to 1 mm that I would cover of InkAid. I would like to know if there are other possibilites to consider and I welcome any idea or recommendation about everything : coating, support, foil handling and color management.
Thanks.
Philippe
-
I don't think you'll be getting anything that thick through either one of those printers-- neither has a flat paper path, so any type of metal coming through is going to get bent on the way through the paper path and cause a jam. The epson P20000 has a flat paper path and you can load up to 1.5mm thick materials from the front, but as far as I'm aware thats the only aqueous printer you're gonna be able to use for anything near that thick.
-
Both have flat paper path. I already used the front paper path of 3880 for thick papers and for the 6400 there a front loading for 0.5-1.5mm thick media but I've never used it.
-
i guess i forgot about the 3880 having a manual load through from the back--
interesting about the 6400-- that separates it form the 8400/9400 which bend the paper down when you load from the front. I'll shut up now.
-
Both have flat paper path. I already used the front paper path of 3880 for thick papers and for the 6400 there a front loading for 0.5-1.5mm thick media but I've never used it.
PRO-4600 doesn't have a flat paper path. If you put a sheet in the front loading path it will turn downwards at least 90 degrees.
-
I speak about the Canon IPF 6400, it can do front loading but unfortunately on one type of paper only and borderless priting is not posssible in this case. Anyway I can trim the foil if it not too thick, it shouldn't be hard.
-
A dozen years ago we offered Alternative Printing Workshops on aluminum roof flashing, copper as well as image transfer to all types of metal.
The queen of the process is Bonnie Lhotka. Her book Digital Alchemy is a must read. You can spend a day viewing her videos on YouTube.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=IViCuZ4j8aU&si=7SgVSoqpDVqfWFCQ
Inkaid is still available. The last two samples I am showing are aluminum panels with three coats of sprayed Krylon spackle paint. After drying they were coated with two coats of ink aid. Printed on 3880. After drying 24 hours I coated with two light coats of clear laquer then framed. A dozen years old and they still look brand new.
-
Thank you so much for these valuable informations.
I realise that I already had the "Digital Art Studio" book, Lhotka is a co-author - never seriously looked at it. I will and will order the Digital Alchemy book.