Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dinarius on August 21, 2024, 10:47:22 am

Title: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Dinarius on August 21, 2024, 10:47:22 am
I want to use this paper to make prints.

https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/artist-papers/watercolour/watercolour/p/Product/show/17/671.html

Any suggestions for printers that will allow me to print this small?

For example, will the Epson P700 print this size paper?

Many thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: mcbroomf on August 21, 2024, 11:40:42 am
Looks beautiful and I don't have an answer for you. 

I noticed that it's listed as an artist paper, not a print paper.  I assume that means it has no ink receptor layer.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Dinarius on August 21, 2024, 11:56:46 am
My bad!  :)

This is the paper I want to use.

https://connscameras.ie/printing-scanning/hahnemuhle-photo-rag-308gsm-6x4-photo-cards-in-tin-30-sheets/4011367097202/40231/

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: digitaldog on August 21, 2024, 11:59:10 am
For example, will the Epson P700 print this size paper?
This appears to be A6, no? My P800 (and P900) support A6, no issues. I believe the P700 will too, but the others, for sure.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: pflower on August 21, 2024, 12:00:18 pm
I want to use this paper to make prints.
Don't know about the P700 (certainly can't print that small on my P5000) but I have printed a number of these tins on the Epson 3880.  This was a few years ago and from memory I could only load the paper from the standard sheet feeder a single sheet at a time.  This was a bit of a nuisance since the Hahnemuhle paper I used should have had the media type of Velvet Fine Art which was only available if loading from the rear paper slot and I couldn't get sheets that small to load from it.  But the results were fine.




https://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/artist-papers/watercolour/watercolour/p/Product/show/17/671.html

Any suggestions for printers that will allow me to print this small?

For example, will the Epson P700 print this size paper?

Many thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Paul_Roark on August 21, 2024, 12:01:34 pm
I have found that Arches watercolor paper requires an ink load of about 1.25 to reach a good dmax.  That is, you need two ink positions firing at the same time to get the best images.

Because I print black and white, I can use QuadToneRip (QTR) for printing.  For information about inkjet model support, see https://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRrequire.html 

For color printing, I'm skeptical this solution is going to be readily available.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
https://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/



Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Nora_nor on August 21, 2024, 12:35:24 pm
I use SC P800. But the loading is a bit tricky , the sheets sometimes get skewed.
Yu could opt for A4 , four images on A4 and then cut them apart
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Kyle Jackson on August 22, 2024, 08:04:18 pm
Just spitballing wildly here but if the small size is the only issue, maybe attach them to a larger carrier sheet to carry it thru the printer? (Inspired by taping multiple profiling target sheets together to feed thru HP Z3100 / Z3200 printers for profile scanning.)

Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Lessbones on August 23, 2024, 05:07:29 pm
i'm honestly surprised they even sell that kind of paper that small--  maybe ask hahnemuhle what kind of printer they've had success with?  You won't be able to print all 4 sides borderless on any machine that I know of-- at least one side will need to be held on to ime.  I would definitely go for larger sheets and cut them down after, that's the only way I've ever been able to get consistently even borders or borderless printing at that scale...
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Dinarius on August 24, 2024, 11:03:07 am
Emailing Hahnemühle is a good idea.

I’ve gone the route of printing multiples and cutting before. The cutting is a pain. The upside is that it’s impossible to make each one identical in size, making each one unique. 😊

I also like the curved corners of the Hahnemühle paper - impossible to replicate.

Thanks for the replies.

Will report back what they say about printers.

D.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: tastar on August 26, 2024, 11:30:23 am
Hahnemuehle has a link to a PDF that describes how to print these cards:

Photo Card printing (https://www.hahnemuehle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/bilder/pdf/dfa/Anleitungen/Photocards/Hahnemuehle-Step_by_Step-Photocards_Templates.pdf)

Tony
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Nora_nor on August 28, 2024, 04:50:02 am
OOOkay, that is a template to use with doulbe sided tape and to print borderless on those cards. Those do not get skewed
I print some other A6 on my p800 and can load a few in the tray, not too many and sometimes they start to get skewed. I usually use a border and print from Lightroom. When the guide for the paper is just right, it usually turns out not skewed
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: Dinarius on September 22, 2024, 11:31:35 am
Hahnemuehle has a link to a PDF that describes how to print these cards:

Photo Card printing (https://www.hahnemuehle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/bilder/pdf/dfa/Anleitungen/Photocards/Hahnemuehle-Step_by_Step-Photocards_Templates.pdf)

Tony

Needing a template explains a lot.

I went to a dealer and we tried printing directly onto the A6 paper using their demo Epson P700.

We couldn't get the borders straight. It would not feed in the paper correctly.

Thanks for the link.

D.
Title: Re: Printer suggestions for printing postcard-size prints...?
Post by: gchappel on September 27, 2024, 06:29:48 pm
Sorry, late reply.
I print several thousand notecards/photocards about that size a year.
I now use an epson ET-8550.   That is about all I use it for.   
Feed has not been an issue for me on similar weight matt papers.
Quality is "ok".  Are they the same as my 12 ink canons.   Nope.   But close.
I have printed over 1500 4x6 and 5x7 cards- and I am still on the original batch of ink.   
I will need to buy ink in the next few months- $100 for another 1500prints.
Works for me--- your mileage may well vary.
gary