Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Eric Brody on August 10, 2024, 05:37:09 pm

Title: framing prices!
Post by: Eric Brody on August 10, 2024, 05:37:09 pm
When I frame my work, I like to use simple Nielsen 11 frames in German Silver. I have purchased from Frame Destination in the past. Exactly a year ago I bought some 16x20 plain frames (no matte board or glass/plexi)  from them for just over US$30 each. I just went to order some more and the price has gone up to almost US$44! I get my matte boards and plexiglass from a local source and have a reasonable stock.

Are there any other sources for such frames that might be less expensive?

Thanks for any responses.

Eric
Title: Re: framing prices!
Post by: MDL_SD on August 10, 2024, 05:58:18 pm
I have been using American Frame (www.americanframe.com) for a number of years.  They run sales with some regularity (discounts and/or free shipping).  Prices on frames have certainly increased in the last few years.
Title: Re: framing prices!
Post by: fdi on August 20, 2024, 01:33:32 pm
When I frame my work, I like to use simple Nielsen 11 frames in German Silver. I have purchased from Frame Destination in the past. Exactly a year ago I bought some 16x20 plain frames (no matte board or glass/plexi)  from them for just over US$30 each. I just went to order some more and the price has gone up to almost US$44! I get my matte boards and plexiglass from a local source and have a reasonable stock.

Are there any other sources for such frames that might be less expensive?

Eric thanks for being a customer of Frame Destination (https://www.framedestination.com/) for your Nielsen metal picture frames. Post Covid we were hit with some serious inflationary costs in material and labor (we make everything in the USA). To help offset some of this we have deepened our discounts overall and we are running them more often for our subscribers. I feel we have the best quality and reasonable prices (not the highest or lowest). I hope we can continue to help you with your framing but I totally understand the desire to check out our competition and it makes sense for you to make sure you are getting what works best for your needs.

Title: Re: framing prices!
Post by: fdi on September 26, 2024, 04:17:47 pm
Hi Eric, I am glad you pointed this out. We were recently able to lower our picture frame prices. When looking into this I found this frame and a few others were miss categorized and had the wrong prices causing them to be too high. We have corrected that and now have a big sale going on that expires tomorrow Sept 27th 2024. Even without the big sale most sizes of the Nielsen 11 picture frame in German Silver (https://www.framedestination.com/prod/frame/nielsen-profile-11.html) are lower than our competitor.
Title: Re: framing prices!
Post by: Paul_Roark on September 27, 2024, 11:41:40 am
I buy simple framing stock (hard black coating over wood) that I can use a standard workbench top chop-saw (Hitachi c10fch2) with a frame-cutting blade (thin grinder, actually) that slowly (but smoothly) grinds/cuts its way through the coating and wood.  Frame shops (which you'll probably have to work through) can buy it in 92 foot (about) total amount, cut into manageable lengths.  Assembling the 4 sticks with 45 degree cuts takes a flat table, and a Logan studio joiner (https://www.dickblick.com/items/logan-studio-framing-joiner) with the necessary accessories and frame nails.  It all not only saves a huge amount of money, but also allows me to ignore the question of frame size availability.  The image controls the crop.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com