Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ignotus_Mago on August 06, 2024, 12:37:27 pm

Title: Epson 9900: Do I need a new belt?
Post by: Ignotus_Mago on August 06, 2024, 12:37:27 pm
Hello Wise Forum,

My Epson 9900, which I purchased in 2015, is not moving the print head correctly when I try to print a sheet or do a nozzle check on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

I last used it yesterday to print on a 44" roll of Moab Entrada paper, with no problems. When I rewound the paper and reset the paper source to sheet and tried to do a nozzle check, the print head traveled the whole length of the printer, back and forth, without apparently printing. Further tests with printing to a sheet from my computer, with power cycling, with replacing a cartridge low on ink all produced the same results. The print head travels the length of the printer and doesn't print.

I suspect that a belt may need replacing. Does that sound correct to you? Does anyone have another suggestion for what the problem may be?

If it's a belt, is this a DIY sort of repair? I have done a damper replacement in the past, so I have at least a passing experience with opening up the printer.

cheers,

Paul

GOOD NEWS, PROBLEM SOLVED. The printer was doing a very lengthy calibration routine for the carriage, as I learned from the local Epson tech. It took a good five minutes. I had not seen that behavior before, and there was no notification on the LCD console.