Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: [email protected] on July 30, 2024, 01:31:31 pm

Title: Eizo built-in calibration vs separate device/software
Post by: [email protected] on July 30, 2024, 01:31:31 pm
I have an Eizo ColorEdge monitor with the built-in calibration device and it does seem to work well.  But I have a question.  In the past I have used some of the popular calibration devices and when calibrating the screen they displayed a whole lot more color blocks than the seemingly few that the Eizo process displays.

Will one of the 3rd party devices produce a better profile than the built-in Eizo?  It just seems like it does not display very many color blocks to do the calibration.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Title: Re: Eizo built-in calibration vs separate device/software
Post by: digitaldog on July 30, 2024, 02:43:48 pm
The total number of "color blocks" (samples) is less important than where they fall in color space. Dark, saturated colors are more difficult to measure than the opposite, especially when one runs an optional "accuracy" report after calibration. So, there's no way to say other than that more colors alone aren't a metric of a better calibration system.
Title: Re: Eizo built-in calibration vs separate device/software
Post by: Czornyj on July 31, 2024, 12:53:38 pm
I have an Eizo ColorEdge monitor with the built-in calibration device and it does seem to work well.  But I have a question.  In the past I have used some of the popular calibration devices and when calibrating the screen they displayed a whole lot more color blocks than the seemingly few that the Eizo process displays.

Will one of the 3rd party devices produce a better profile than the built-in Eizo?  It just seems like it does not display very many color blocks to do the calibration.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

EIZO is perfectly calibrated at the factory, and the calibration process is only "on top" of internal calibration - so it's not really important what sensor, or even no sensor you're using. It's more a show to make customers feel better.