Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 22, 2024, 06:38:16 am
-
Hi all,
Just got back from a week in Norfolk (that's Norfolk in the UK, you know, the original one ;D), on our annual bird watching holiday. And to be honest, there is not a lot a lot of opportunity for landscape photography down there, because it is just so flat and featureless. So with me not being into bird photography either, getting anything worthwhile down there, is a bit of a challenge.
However, this time we decided to head even further South, down to a place called Happisburgh (pronounced locally as "Haze-boro"). And to an area that is regularly on the news, after repeatedly being ravaged by storms and coastal erosion. Where the sea is constantly and relentlessly, pounding the sandy cliffs and where houses keep getting washed down the into the sea. But what I didn't realise, was that back in the 50's and 60's, and even up into the 70's. The local authorities, tried to stop the erosion, by building lots of wooden structures and concrete sea defences. Which nature and the sea, have now turned into an area of complete destruction.
So while not very good at all for the locals and the loss of their homes, for which my heart truly goes out to them. This area of coastline, has evolved into something of an amazing place for photography and which up until this point, I was blissfully unaware of.
But now that I had stumbled onto it and could instantly see its photographic potential, I went back many times to shoot, what was left of the mangled sea defences and here are just a few of the resulting images.
So if you are in the UK and you want to go to somewhere that I think looks amazing photographically, then get yourself down to Happisburgh, park in this car park (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Happisburgh,+Norwich/@52.8226729,1.5374254,622m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x47d7524a251f5285:0x7903d36d7e7e3cad!8m2!3d52.8244176!4d1.5312848!16zL20vMGNjMXBt?entry=ttu) at about two hours after high tide and then work your way along the beach to your left as the tide goes out, from the path down onto the beach - and fill your boots ;)
cheers ;)
PS - this car park on the top of the cliff, will not be there for much longer either, as the front edge of it has already been washed away, so don't hang around :)
Dave
-
Nice set with the weather being cooperative. I like the general mood but I'm sorry for the locals. Those structures seem to call for help.
Bravo and I'm happy that you found this place!
-
Great photos of an interesting place! I especially like the second and the last. Kind of haunting.
-
I like the next to last one.
mark
-
Great photos of an interesting place! I especially like the second and the last. Kind of haunting.
Thanks everyone ;)
Yes I agree Matt, the whole area had a sort of haunted, manacing quality about it. So even though the weather was good, with spells of bright sunshine, it still had the feel of a post apocalyptic sci-fi movie about it.
Also to get down to these structures when the tide was just going out, but with the rollers still coming in and still high enough for what I wanted. Meant I had to negotiate my way through, several deep areas of water filled with debris, at the base of the crumbling cliffs (so quite dangerous really, but hey, I'm a photographer ::)). Which means I had the whole beach entirely to myself, for several miles in either direction. Which again added to the eery feeling of it all and thinking about it now, this probably helped me to compose these images in the way that I did.
Here's a couple more from this same area, as the tide ebbed further out ;)
Dave
-
Good shots and story.
-
Good shots and story.
Thanks Paulo :D
Dave
-
I like them very much