Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: David Eichler on March 02, 2024, 09:47:23 pm

Title: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: David Eichler on March 02, 2024, 09:47:23 pm
I have a dual-display setup with an iMac running OS 13.6.4. I have the outboard display set as the main display when both displays are on. When I turn off the power to the outboard display, the brightness of the iMac display changes on its own to near maximum brightness, which I do not want. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? I only started using this set up recently.
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: degrub on March 03, 2024, 11:33:07 am
what happens if you switch the iMac display to main ?
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: digitaldog on March 03, 2024, 12:18:03 pm
Try resetting the NVRAM:
https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-mac-display-problems-4121097
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: David Eichler on March 04, 2024, 03:38:29 am
Try resetting the NVRAM:
https://www.lifewire.com/troubleshooting-mac-display-problems-4121097
Thank you. That seems to have worked,
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: David Eichler on September 19, 2024, 03:20:38 pm
Actually, turns out it only worked temporarily. The problem came back. Also, I have done a clean install in the meantime and the problem still persists. Will have to look for other solutions.
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: BobShaw on September 19, 2024, 08:40:36 pm
Have you turned of the Display setting "Automatically Adjust Brightness"
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: David Eichler on March 16, 2025, 08:37:49 pm
Have you turned of the Display setting "Automatically Adjust Brightness"
No serious photo editor should use that feature.  :)  So, yes, I have it off.
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: degrub on March 17, 2025, 09:58:21 am
black tape over the camera or other sensor used by the imac to auto adjust brightness ?
Title: Re: Display Brightness Changing on its Own.
Post by: David Eichler on March 17, 2025, 12:43:56 pm
black tape over the camera or other sensor used by the imac to auto adjust brightness ?
Even if I were using auto brightness, since I am editing in a room with low ambient light, it should adjust the monitor brightness lower, not to maximum brightness, which is what is happening with my computer.