Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: rgs on January 26, 2024, 10:58:52 pm

Title: After and Before
Post by: rgs on January 26, 2024, 10:58:52 pm
This is an image from Alaska - Kenai Fjords National Park and Resurrection Bay. It was shot from a boat's (wildly pitching) deck on a day filled with weather. I'm including the original right from the camera after my final result. I hope the comparison is interesting. And, before anyone asks, I did change the sky. In doing so, I tried to use a sky that is similarly lit, that emphasizes the image rather than competes with it, and that is much like the original sky and the weather on that day. Enjoy!
Title: Re: After and Before
Post by: armand on January 27, 2024, 02:04:52 pm
It looks nicer but it crosses my line in the sand with the adding of the sky.
Title: Re: After and Before
Post by: francois on January 28, 2024, 05:06:01 am
It looks nicer but it crosses my line in the sand with the adding of the sky.

100% agree but it's just me after all (and, obviously, Armand too).
That said, I like them both.
Title: Re: After and Before
Post by: rgs on January 28, 2024, 10:07:33 am
I understand your objection to replacing the sky and, in many cases, I agree. I don't want to change the subject of the photograph with a spectacular but unrelated (or unnatural) sky. But in this case, I think of the sky as emphasizing the cold, windy, wet, and volatile day rather than changing the image. That sky is much the way I recall the day. For reference, here is the image with everything else edited but the original sky.
Title: Re: After and Before
Post by: Mark Nadler on January 28, 2024, 08:34:39 pm
rgs, how you develop an image is your call.  My comments are as a viewer.  Your first image is bland.  The second image appears too hyped.  The third image you posted seems more natural to me. 

mark