Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JudyKonopka on January 11, 2024, 08:29:00 am
-
When I print something, I notice a slight blue shading across one side of the print. I am unsure of what is happening as I've been using the same settings and paper I've used for years. Any ideas of what it could be?
-
I'm sorry, Judy, unfortunately I can't offer you any explanations or solutions. However, your post is the first time I've seen another photographer having the same problem I've also encountered. My own printer is the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000, which uses the same number and type of ink as the Pro-2000. Like you, I have changed neither my settings nor the paper I use. The blue (perhaps with cyan?) is often quite faint, not clearly delineated, and most noticeable when printing monochrome, something I do rather frequently. It is first visible at the top of the smaller side of the paper (where standard printing always begins), and is sometimes visible as a second strip approx. two-thirds down from where printing begins. I've tried running cleaning and deep cleaning cycles which, at best, help for only a limited time. I too would be grateful for any help or suggestions with this somewhat unusual anomaly. Until a few months ago, my Pro-1000 gave me reliably consistent results. Many thanks!
Lawrence Braunstein
-
My previous experience with Canon printers (I am currently the happy owner of a PRO-1000) is that when you get this kind of ink channel cross-pollution it is and indication that the print-head is at the end of its life.
Unfortunately, the only remedy is to replace the head.
-
If that is the case you will get off pretty cheap as I believe they are only $700ish and user replaceable. My 9900 head and labor was $3100. Just replaced both heads on my s80600 to the tune of $5100.
Head replacement time is a great time to have Canon or Hp over Epson.
-
If that is the case you will get off pretty cheap as I believe they are only $700ish and user replaceable. My 9900 head and labor was $3100. Just replaced both heads on my s80600 to the tune of $5100.
Head replacement time is a great time to have Canon or Hp over Epson.
Hey Dan,
You couldn't get Epson to do a One Time Service Plan for $1400 on the 9900?
https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/One-Time-Service-Plan---EPWPSP1R44/p/EPWPSP1R44
-
The 9900 was not recent so that plan was not available yet.
I wish.
-
I'm sorry, Judy, unfortunately I can't offer you any explanations or solutions. However, your post is the first time I've seen another photographer having the same problem I've also encountered. My own printer is the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000, which uses the same number and type of ink as the Pro-2000. Like you, I have changed neither my settings nor the paper I use. The blue (perhaps with cyan?) is often quite faint, not clearly delineated, and most noticeable when printing monochrome, something I do rather frequently. It is first visible at the top of the smaller side of the paper (where standard printing always begins), and is sometimes visible as a second strip approx. two-thirds down from where printing begins. I've tried running cleaning and deep cleaning cycles which, at best, help for only a limited time. I too would be grateful for any help or suggestions with this somewhat unusual anomaly. Until a few months ago, my Pro-1000 gave me reliably consistent results. Many thanks!
Lawrence Braunstein
Yes, I print greyscale all the time. I had called Canon and they said it was a icc profile - that everything had to match. Well, I had been using the same profile and settings for 6 years without this happening. This morning, I printed one that had the blue shading and a second one that didn't using the same settings. Ugh!
-
Are you printing from a MAC ?
There is a known issue of settings not sticking in the previous OS version and probably in the current.
Check DigitalDog's posts
-
Yes, I print greyscale all the time. I had called Canon and they said it was a icc profile - that everything had to match. Well, I had been using the same profile and settings for 6 years without this happening. This morning, I printed one that had the blue shading and a second one that didn't using the same settings. Ugh!
I really don't think it has anything to do with the profile.
-
I'm sorry, Judy, unfortunately I can't offer you any explanations or solutions. However, your post is the first time I've seen another photographer having the same problem I've also encountered. My own printer is the Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000, which uses the same number and type of ink as the Pro-2000. Like you, I have changed neither my settings nor the paper I use. The blue (perhaps with cyan?) is often quite faint, not clearly delineated, and most noticeable when printing monochrome, something I do rather frequently. It is first visible at the top of the smaller side of the paper (where standard printing always begins), and is sometimes visible as a second strip approx. two-thirds down from where printing begins. I've tried running cleaning and deep cleaning cycles which, at best, help for only a limited time. I too would be grateful for any help or suggestions with this somewhat unusual anomaly. Until a few months ago, my Pro-1000 gave me reliably consistent results. Many thanks!
Lawrence Braunstein
Laurence, I've seemed to have found the problem - it needed Maintenance ->deep cleaning. It uses a LOT of ink, unfortunately.