Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on January 10, 2024, 11:34:14 am

Title: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 10, 2024, 11:34:14 am
I liked the textures. From the Ho Rainforest.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 10, 2024, 02:59:07 pm
Great capture of textures! Color gamut quite suitable, too.

P.S. since it is in the critique section... I would rotate it slightly, diagonally, for a better dynamic composition, so that the leaf goes from its stem in the lower left toward its tip pointing toward the upper right. Again, slightly.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 10, 2024, 06:10:58 pm
Thanks, Slobodan. You mean like this? ;D
Couldn't resist!
I'll have to reconstruct what I did in PS as I didn't save my process layers :(
This is a 5-degree rotation so I could probably use a content aware fill in the "blank" spots.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: Jonathan Cross on January 10, 2024, 06:16:39 pm
I would rotate it slightly, diagonally, for a better dynamic composition, so that the leave goes from its stem in the lower left toward its tip pointing toward the upper right. Again, slightly.

Slobodan's suggestion is interesting.  I was at a series of sessions run by a University Art History lecturer some years ago and this concept came up.  For a very long time an image that leads to viewer up from left to right has been considered more pleasing than from right to left (Michelangelo's 'Hand of God' and Hieronymus Bosch's 'The Garden of Earthly Delights' being examples).  There was an opinion that this is because we read from left to right.  We never did look at what the view on this was for nations whose people do not read from left to right, so I am not sure if this L to R idea is universally true.

Jonathan

 
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 10, 2024, 06:32:54 pm
Thanks Jonathan. Yes, I am aware of that phenomenon as well as the dynamics of diagonal lines in composition and believe the L>R idea has been tested in those that read R>L and the rule is reversed. I don't know about top>down ::)
All kidding aside, I find the horizontal orientation restful, but will give the diagonal a go and compare side by side. I really appreciate the reminder that a diagonal composition is worth consideration; wish I'd thought of it on location.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: Michael West on January 10, 2024, 08:29:46 pm
Slobodan's suggestion is interesting.  I was at a series of sessions run by a University Art History lecturer some years ago and this concept came up.  For a very long time an image that leads to viewer up from left to right has been considered more pleasing than from right to left (Michelangelo's 'Hand of God' and Hieronymus Bosch's 'The Garden of Earthly Delights' being examples).  There was an opinion that this is because we read from left to right.  We never did look at what the view on this was for nations whose people do not read from left to right, so I am not sure if this L to R idea is universally true.

Jonathan

 
IREAD A  treatise about directions by a famous advertising art director maybe forty years ago...in which he suggested that items "Pointed" in one direction were more "friendly looking" Than. items pointed in the opposite direction.

im not sure that I understood the central point.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: degrub on January 11, 2024, 09:31:14 am
really nice capture !
Agree with all others except the rotation. Looses too much on the crop.
Have you looked at this in monochrome ?
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 11, 2024, 12:20:42 pm
really nice capture !
Agree with all others except the rotation. Looses too much on the crop.
Have you looked at this in monochrome ?
Thanks. As for the rotation, I'd have to start from scratch. Haven't looked at B&W; might have to, though.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 11, 2024, 12:45:01 pm
Rotated -3 degrees and used Content Aware Fill to adjust the canvas. Same for the B&W version.
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 11, 2024, 01:25:01 pm
👍
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 11, 2024, 01:27:43 pm
Great minds think alike ;)

Havana, 2018:
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: David Eckels on January 11, 2024, 05:54:08 pm
Great minds think alike ;)
Cool!
Title: Re: Where It Fell
Post by: armand on January 11, 2024, 08:08:40 pm
I liked the textures. From the Ho Rainforest.

Very nice indeed!