Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: matt4626 on January 21, 2007, 03:34:56 pm

Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: matt4626 on January 21, 2007, 03:34:56 pm
My 2200 printed great with "Color managment"off under the advanced tab (custom profiles). New 3800 prints really bad with that set up.
Please share your set up for the 3800.
I flatten, size, sharpen etc. then select "print with preview" in photoshop CS2.
1. Color handling - Photoshop  or printer?
2. Profile - Working RGB - Adobe RBG (1998) or Adobe RGB or something else?
I then would press "print" botton" and go to new screen.
3. Custom or Auto?
4. If custom which selection -Color Control, photo enhanse, off, or ICM.
5. Mode?

Anything else I'm missing? So far my best prints with the 3800 are when I use the "Auto" setting but they still do not match the screen or the 2200 prints. (Mostly less red and contrast)
Thanks inadvance for all help.
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: boku on January 21, 2007, 05:42:23 pm
Quote
My 2200 printed great with "Color managment"off under the advanced tab (custom profiles). New 3800 prints really bad with that set up.
Please share your set up for the 3800.
I flatten, size, sharpen etc. then select "print with preview" in photoshop CS2.
1. Color handling - Photoshop  or printer?
2. Profile - Working RGB - Adobe RBG (1998) or Adobe RGB or something else?
I then would press "print" botton" and go to new screen.
3. Custom or Auto?
4. If custom which selection -Color Control, photo enhanse, off, or ICM.
5. Mode?

Anything else I'm missing? So far my best prints with the 3800 are when I use the "Auto" setting but they still do not match the screen or the 2200 prints. (Mostly less red and contrast)
Thanks inadvance for all help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In #2 - the working profile should be your paper profile. Color management in the printer control panel should be off. My 3800 is about a week away from delivery, so I don't know the exact wording of the printer dialog box - sounds like it's different from the 2200. I'll be listening. Nevertheless, the rules are...

- Apply the paper profile in Photoshop (as I explained)

- Turn off color correction on the printer (however that is acheived for the 3800).
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: matt4626 on January 21, 2007, 06:28:00 pm
Thanks that made a huge improvement! I never understood (with the 2200)why/the need to select the paper type in the color space location and again in the print box. Can you explain?
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: Stephen Best on January 21, 2007, 06:57:48 pm
Quote
Thanks that made a huge improvement! I never understood (with the 2200)why/the need to select the paper type in the color space location and again in the print box. Can you explain?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The first governs the conversion from working to printer space (for that paper and using the rendering you specify). The second governs ink loading, per-pass drying time etc ... namely how the printer lays down ink on that specific paper (type). It could be simplified I agree.
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: pflower on January 21, 2007, 07:11:18 pm
Quote
Thanks that made a huge improvement! I never understood (with the 2200)why/the need to select the paper type in the color space location and again in the print box. Can you explain?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


The two are completely different.  IN CS2 you set the document to reflect the colour space of your file - Adobe RGB or SRGB or Profoto for example - that is the colour space attached to your image.  Then select "Let Photoshop Determine Colours".  Then in the printer profile box you select the profile for your paper.  The 3800 comes with very good profiles out of the box (but they are rather cryptically described) or you can have each paper that you use profiled and use a custom profile.  This determines how the printer prints particular colours against a defined and quantifiable bench mark - i.e. this tells the printer how to produce accurate colours.  

Finally in the print dialog you are asked to select a paper type.  All that this does is regulate how much ink is laid down on the paper.  If you select plain paper in this dialog but you are printing on Photo Rag your results are not going to be optimum.  Some papers require more ink than others - others less.  But in the print dialog the choice of paper does not affect the colour values - merely the amount of ink laid down on the paper.  

The choice in the 3800 driver will also determine the black ink you are using.  If you choose Glossy paper then the printer will use Photo Black Ink.  If you select a Matte paper then it will use the Matte Black ink.  The printer will change inks if you choose a different option to the one you had last used.
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: matt4626 on January 21, 2007, 07:21:45 pm
Quote
The two are completely different.  IN CS2 you set the document to reflect the colour space of your file - Adobe RGB or SRGB or Profoto for example - that is the colour space attached to your image.  Then select "Let Photoshop Determine Colours".  Then in the printer profile box you select the profile for your paper.  The 3800 comes with very good profiles out of the box (but they are rather cryptically described) or you can have each paper that you use profiled and use a custom profile.  This determines how the printer prints particular colours against a defined and quantifiable bench mark - i.e. this tells the printer how to produce accurate colours. 

Finally in the print dialog you are asked to select a paper type.  All that this does is regulate how much ink is laid down on the paper.  If you select plain paper in this dialog but you are printing on Photo Rag your results are not going to be optimum.  Some papers require more ink than others - others less.  But in the print dialog the choice of paper does not affect the colour values - merely the amount of ink laid down on the paper. 

The choice in the 3800 driver will also determine the black ink you are using.  If you choose Glossy paper then the printer will use Photo Black Ink.  If you select a Matte paper then it will use the Matte Black ink.  The printer will change inks if you choose a different option to the one you had last used.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96896\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This seems to be completely different advise than boku above. Testing today I find setting the paper type in both places (to match) has given me the best results.
This is what boku recomended. Can anyone explain the difference of opinion??
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: picnic on January 21, 2007, 08:11:56 pm
Quote
This seems to be completely different advise than boku above. Testing today I find setting the paper type in both places (to match) has given me the best results.
This is what boku recomended. Can anyone explain the difference of opinion??
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=96899\")

No, they are saying the same thing.  I have had my 3800 for a month and a half--and had the 2200 since it came out--and the 1280 before that.  Color management is always the same if you are printing from PS.  You choose your paper profile in Print with preview (I'm going to print with Epson premiume luster so chose that paper profile), look at the link for the print with preview dialog (PSCS3 BTW so its a bit different) and note all those things circled in red.  
[a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374891]http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374891[/url]

Now note in the printer dialog that you choose your media (which COULD be different than your paper profile if you were using a 3rd party or custom profile), select no color admustment (this is advanced) and you are good to go.
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374895 (http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374895)

BTW--does someone want to refresh my menory how to embed or link so that the image shows up please.  I checked help and couldn't find anything--and I haven't done it here for a very long time.

Diane
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: matt4626 on January 22, 2007, 11:07:50 am
Quote
No, they are saying the same thing.  I have had my 3800 for a month and a half--and had the 2200 since it came out--and the 1280 before that.  Color management is always the same if you are printing from PS.  You choose your paper profile in Print with preview (I'm going to print with Epson premiume luster so chose that paper profile), look at the link for the print with preview dialog (PSCS3 BTW so its a bit different) and note all those things circled in red. 
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374891 (http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374891)

Now note in the printer dialog that you choose your media (which COULD be different than your paper profile if you were using a 3rd party or custom profile), select no color admustment (this is advanced) and you are good to go.
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374895 (http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/73374895)

BTW--does someone want to refresh my menory how to embed or link so that the image shows up please.  I checked help and couldn't find anything--and I haven't done it here for a very long time.
Thanks for the links! That was just what I was looking for. Why relative colormetric and not Perceptual?

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96902\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: picnic on January 22, 2007, 12:24:36 pm
nt
Title: Help setting up 3800
Post by: picnic on January 22, 2007, 12:25:59 pm
[
Try it either way.  Usually the relative colormetric works better with my Epson profiles.  

Diane