Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mcrepsej on December 02, 2023, 09:33:40 am
-
My consideration has been a paper free of optical brightener on a cotton base.
I'm now a little unsure if I can count Canson's Baryta Prestige II, with a base of paper and cotton, in that category.
What is your opinion?
-
My consideration has been a paper free of optical brightener on a cotton base.
I'm now a little unsure if I can count Canson's Baryta Prestige II, with a base of paper and cotton, in that category.
What is your opinion?
OBA free on a 100% cotton base is correct. But even if a paper has OBAs in it they won't be a problem if no UV light reaches the paper in the first place. So a OBA paper framed behind UV glass/plastic and displayed under LED light is essentially OBA free for all practical purposes.
OBAs are more of a problem for a print displayed without UV glass in a sunlit room.
Canson's Baryta Prestige II does have some OBAs so the key is how will it be displayed.
-
My consideration has been a paper free of optical brightener on a cotton base.
I'm now a little unsure if I can count Canson's Baryta Prestige II, with a base of paper and cotton, in that category.
What is your opinion?
There doesn't seem to be any standardization and therefore any rules in place.
I think your definition is in line with what many/most of us think but who knows? When a paper manufacturer company decides to list OBA content, many of them just say "Present", "Low", or "Mild" - basically words that could literally mean anything. In my mind OBA content is only relevant if your print is meant to be displayed for 20+ years. I think if we're being honest, that's not a very high percentage of our work.
Keeping a paper like Baryta Prestige II (which is a stunning paper, btw) stored in a box or archival presentation folder will most certainly ensure its longevity just as much, if not better, than an OBA free paper that's on display taking in mild amounts of sunlight - even under UV glass.
-
Just one thing, Baryta Prestige has OBA, but Baryta Prestige II doesn't.
https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/baryta-prestige-ii