Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on November 13, 2023, 08:57:49 am
-
OK, in the UK we spell the word "Tire" as "Tyre", when describing those big round expensive rubber things, that are located at each corner of your vehicle. But as I took this shot in America and they spell the word Tyre as Tire and that second version of the spelling, fitted in better with my witty title for these shots, I went with the American spelling.
Anyhoo, as we were driving along in the middle of nowhere, I just happened to see these enormous mounds of what I believe to have been animal feed (silage?), covered in plastic sheeting and with thousands of old cut tires, scattered all over the top of them, to hold the sheeting down in the wind. So I swung the car around and spent a happy 20 minutes or so photographing it.
The pungent smell of the feed, then clinging to my clothing and stuck up my nose, for the rest of the day :)
So even though this image might look like some sort of an abstract to you, it isn't at all and is in fact just a straight up shot of the scene.
Dave
-
...
-
...
Peter, that has got to be the most cryptic reply I have ever received on Lula. Unless it is some new type of abbreviation or code on here and I missed the email telling everyone what it is supposed to mean.
But in the meantime, I will assume it is a good thing and thank you for it ;D
Dave
-
Great repetitive image I still have hopes of visiting Isle of Skye one day to cut my teeth on your outstanding weather!
-
Love the photos. I think Peter said it best about the scene itself.
-
😱😱😱
Holly cow! It seems those tires were placed by hand(s)!? What an enormous task it must have been!
Photographically speaking, I wish I could see a broader view, within the landscape, to gauge the size of it.
-
I have seen these in Portugal too, but not at such a scale.
-
Thanks everyone ;)
These were not difficult shots to take at all, other than I felt I had to keep looking over my shoulder, waiting for the farmer to come out and shoo me away with his shotgun.
😱😱😱
Holly cow! It seems those tires were placed by hand(s)!? What an enormous task it must have been!
Photographically speaking, I wish I could see a broader view, within the landscape, to gauge the size of it.
Sorry Slobodan, ,but it never occurred to me to take any shots other than of the type you see here. But as the old photography saying goes, "don't worry, we can always shoot it on the way back". ;D
Yes I agree, what an enormous task this must have been and I would say that the mounds as a whole, were probably at least 10 times larger than you can see here and so the number of tyres (tires), could well have been up into the tens of thousands and they had all been cut in half - and it was hot, very hot, at about 100F when I took these shots. Remember I live in the North of Scotland and our average temp for the year, must work out at between 40F to 50F.
In fact later during our holiday, we found ourselves standing at the side of the road, watching a rattlesnake moving quite quickly across the searing heat in front of us and I turned to the wife and said, well isn't this typical? We've brought all of our winter gear with us, because we thought it was going to be cold, yet here we are in the middle of a heatwave and standing in the middle of a desert..! Right here in fact (https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9015105,-115.8348851,3a,90y,312.59h,83.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spCG_AAt0pn9VwODGiGDXjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu)
It might not have been a rattlesnake in all honesty. But it was rattlesnake sized and we were on holiday, so that is what we decided it was ;D
Dave
-
Thanks everyone ;)
These were not difficult shots to take at all, other than I felt I had to keep looking over my shoulder, waiting for the farmer to come out and shoo me away with his shotgun.
Sorry Slobodan, ,but it never occurred to me to take any shots other than of the type you see here. But as the old photography saying goes, "don't worry, we can always shoot it on the way back". ;D
Yes I agree, what an enormous task this must have been and I would say that the mounds as a whole, were probably at least 10 times larger than you can see here and so the number of tyres (tires), could well have been up into the tens of thousands and they had all been cut in half - and it was hot, very hot, at about 100F when I took these shots. Remember I live in the North of Scotland and our average temp for the year, must work out at between 40F to 50F.
In fact later during our holiday, we found ourselves standing at the side of the road, watching a rattlesnake moving quite quickly across the searing heat in front of us and I turned to the wife and said, well isn't this typical? We've brought all of our winter gear with us, because we thought it was going to be cold, yet here we are in the middle of a heatwave and standing in the middle of a desert..! Right here in fact (https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9015105,-115.8348851,3a,90y,312.59h,83.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spCG_AAt0pn9VwODGiGDXjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu)
It might not have been a rattlesnake in all honesty. But it was rattlesnake sized and we were on holiday, so that is what we decided it was ;D
Dave
I passed through that spot multiple times, even in the early spring it was at least 75-80F and with the sun felt like more. It does get chilly as the sun goes down though.
-
These are fairly common in California's Central Valley, especially anywhere near dairy farms to help keep the tarps covering silage from blowing away and exposing the cattle feed to the weather. Many I've seen use tires sliced into two "donuts" and tied together.
For sure, they make an interesting pattern photo as do piles of irrigate pipes and sprinklers and lots of other agricultural devices found throughout rural California.
Besides the "bouquet" of the silage, many of these silage heaps are also not too far away from the byproduct of bovine digestion and I'm not taking about milk...Awe, the odors of farming!