Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Proeberphoto on October 12, 2023, 04:43:08 pm

Title: Looking for archival paper equivalent to Canon Semi-Gloss
Post by: Proeberphoto on October 12, 2023, 04:43:08 pm
I've been making some test prints with Canon Semi-Gloss paper and really like the surface. It closely matches some of my darkroom prints, unferotyped gloss surface.

I've noticed however, that Canon Semi-Gloss appears to contain optical brighteners, so it's not considered archival for museum purposes. Does anyone know of an archival paper from Red River, Canson or Hahnumuhle that would approximate this paper surface? I've been on their websites and it looks like some of the Baryta papers are close but have a little more texture. A paper that is between a semi-gloss and a gloss surface would work, also. I've not been happy with any of the gloss papers I seen and matte surfaces are too dull.
Title: Re: Looking for archival paper equivalent to Canon Semi-Gloss
Post by: bellevuefineart on November 10, 2023, 12:27:10 pm
the Epson Premium Semi-matte is close but I think it has brighteners in it as well.
Title: Re: Looking for archival paper equivalent to Canon Semi-Gloss
Post by: mcrepsej on November 10, 2023, 02:15:39 pm
I would recommend you the Canson Platine Fiber Rag.
A OBA free cotton paper.
Or MediaJet Museum Natural Silk if you are in Europe.
A paper very close to Canson Platine Fiber Rag.
Title: Re: Looking for archival paper equivalent to Canon Semi-Gloss
Post by: Proeberphoto on November 10, 2023, 06:01:15 pm
Thanks for that recommendation. I'll try to get some samples.