Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on September 29, 2023, 01:38:20 pm

Title: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: MattBurt on September 29, 2023, 01:38:20 pm
It was officially full in the wee hours this morning. It was full enough for me last night and rising around sunset which often works out well.
I found a spot on the map that lined up well with some mountains and also showed some fall color. It took a while to get there not so much because it was far but because the 4x4 trail was incredibly rough and slow going. I'm just glad there weren't fluids leaking from my truck afterwards.

While I waited. I think that is Fairview Peak but I don't usually see it from this angle. It's a fun one to climb and ski in the spring.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53221472005_a6e9a828ff_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2p5ZXqi)

The main event. It was a little late due to that low hanging cloudbank which makes it more contrasty than if I had been able to catch it earlier. I managed to get a reasonable image out of the scene with those same clouds also helping dim the moon a little. The dynamic range of the GFX 50r was also a positive factor. The aspens are slow to turn this year; they would normally be in full yellow mode by this date.

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53221323799_14c159a300_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2p5Zcn2)
Title: Re: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 29, 2023, 02:17:36 pm
Mattburt, love the first one.  Feels very natural.  I hope your not offended but in the second image the sun seems too artificial looking.

mark
Title: Re: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: MattBurt on September 29, 2023, 05:02:53 pm
Mattburt, love the first one.  Feels very natural.  I hope your not offended but in the second image the sun seems too artificial looking.

mark

Not offended but that is the moon, not the sun. That image also needed more processing with how dark it was getting so that hurts it too.
I prefer to catch the moon earlier (like when the first image was taken) for a more balanced exposure between landscape and moon.
Title: Re: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: David Eckels on September 29, 2023, 06:32:11 pm
You lucky dog! It looked great from here (AZ), but I was out without my camera. Well done.
Title: Re: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 30, 2023, 06:42:37 am
Good job.
Title: Re: Harvest Moon rising last night
Post by: MattBurt on September 30, 2023, 03:39:36 pm
You lucky dog! It looked great from here (AZ), but I was out without my camera. Well done.

Thanks! I try and plan ahead a little to have my camera when it's full moon eve. Works most of the time.

Good job.

Thank you.