Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 12, 2023, 05:54:22 am

Title: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 12, 2023, 05:54:22 am
From a recent trip to the East coast of Scotland.

Dave
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: francois on September 12, 2023, 06:07:23 am
A very nice shot and the weather is cooperating with you!

The civil engineer did really like whiskey, obviously  ;D
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: MattBurt on September 13, 2023, 03:41:52 pm
Excellent! I bet it would look pretty interesting as a long exposure too.
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: David Eckels on September 13, 2023, 07:03:53 pm
Excellent! I bet it would look pretty interesting as a long exposure too.
Indeed
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: Bob_B on September 14, 2023, 08:24:31 am
+1, long exposure and b/w
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 14, 2023, 12:20:44 pm
Not sure if it is the same, but I have seen many photos from this place? This is a fine one, and I like it for the absence of long exposure (a technique I use a lot). I like how the water ripples provide a counterpoint to the structure in the clouds.
Title: Re: Zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, stop!
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 15, 2023, 11:31:19 am
Thanks everyone  ;)

Excellent! I bet it would look pretty interesting as a long exposure too.

Yes Matt and others that agree with Matt, I do have several long exposure shots of this scene, which as mentioned by Paulo below, is a very well known shot using very long exposures and is exactly what I went there to shoot, even though I knew it would not be very original. But I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with going for the cliched shot at a well know photographic location, simply because the reason a scene or a type of shot has become a bit of a cliche in the first place, is because it is so damn good.

But then having got the long exposure shot in the bag pretty much straight away, I started to experiment a bit and try something different, with shorter exposures, stacked exposures etc., etc. So when I finally got around to looking through the files later on my computer and again as mentioned by Paulo below, I ended up preferring this shot with the short exposure, due to the waves sort of mirroring the shapes in the clouds. As well as it looking quite a bit different, from what everyone else normally shoots here.

Not sure if it is the same, but I have seen many photos from this place? This is a fine one, and I like it for the absence of long exposure (a technique I use a lot). I like how the water ripples provide a counterpoint to the structure in the clouds.

Thanks again guys  ;)

Dave