Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: [email protected] on August 28, 2023, 12:40:33 pm

Title: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: [email protected] on August 28, 2023, 12:40:33 pm
I have recently started using a Canon R5 and CFExpress cards.  I have a ProGrade B/SD card reader and it gets VERY hot during transfer.  Is this normal or do I have a problem with the reader.

(on a iMac 27-inch 2020 with 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core I7 and Ventura 13.3)

thanks,
Bill
Title: Re: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: armand on August 29, 2023, 09:39:05 am
I think all of them get very hot. I also have a Prograde and a Belkin, along with the reader on a OWC dock. Funny think I don't recall the XQD cards getting that hot.
Title: Re: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: armand on August 31, 2023, 10:43:19 pm
On a second thought I just used yesterday the Belkin reader and it was significantly less hot than the Prograde (with less photos downloaded but I don't think it made a big difference). I think the ribbed metal case helps with the cooling.
Title: Re: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: [email protected] on September 01, 2023, 10:14:23 am
Thanks for replies,  at least I know I'm not about to burn down the studio because of malfunctioning reader.

thanks again,
Title: Re: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 05, 2023, 05:58:31 am
Is a reader necessary? Can you connect the camera with a computer via a cable? I have a similar hardware, btw.
Title: Re: ProGrade CFExpress Card Reader Gets Hot
Post by: armand on September 06, 2023, 08:09:37 pm
Is a reader necessary? Can you connect the camera with a computer via a cable? I have a similar hardware, btw.

In a pinch it will work but there are a couple of reasons why I usually try to avoid it:
- not put any unnecessary stress on the camera and its ports/ports cover and battery
- in many cameras that USB is quite slow, I get much faster reads from a good reader