Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: RMW on July 25, 2023, 07:06:43 am

Title: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: RMW on July 25, 2023, 07:06:43 am
Hello All,
This image rather puzzles me. I like it ... I think. But all this negative bright space concerns me as does the odd composition.
All comments and critiques are most welcome.
Thanks,
Richard
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: francois on July 25, 2023, 08:43:17 am
I like it too. The subtle colors are a good element for me as well as the smooth background. Sometimes, we like (or dislike) a photo and our reasons remain mysterious. This keeps a bit of magic there!
Well done and I'm sorry for my lack a explanation.
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 25, 2023, 08:56:51 am
The backlit petals are engaging and to me the highlight of this image. However, the background is too busy.
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: David Eckels on July 25, 2023, 11:45:55 am
At great risk of being accused of being a cropperist :o I took the liberty you see below. Think of it as a question. Or a suggestion. I apologize in advance for my blatant disregard for the conventions of the Landscape Showcase section. I hope forgiveness is possible. By the way, I love the translucency of those petals!
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: RMW on July 25, 2023, 06:21:45 pm
Thank you Francois. Rajan, and David for your good and interesting comments.
I agree with Francois that sometimes our reasons remain mysterious. In this case there's some oriental sense hovering about or maybe below.
The background is too busy now that I really see the image. Thanks Rajan.
And David, being a cropperist is an instructive necessity for helpful suggestions, while blatantly disregarding a convention - you might say- is an iconoclasts purpose and delight.
Richard
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 27, 2023, 03:05:26 am
I like it. The background provides context (bloom in forest). I suggest a slight crop on the left to get rid of the dark trunk there.
Title: Re: Sunset in Shell Bank Bayou
Post by: RMW on July 28, 2023, 02:22:16 pm
Thank you Paulo.
Tried the crop, it's an improvement,  but the whole foto still looks a bit too confusing.
Richard