Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: rogan on June 20, 2023, 10:55:33 am
-
Hello. I am printing from a 9570 to BC LYVE. Images are very dark with lots of black details. Spraying with timeless glossy makes them all pop and the blacks much richer. But the sheen is really high. I tried the matte as well but too milky in the blacks. Is satin the "just right" answer? Is it the same as mixing glossy and matte 1;1?
Or is there another brand of varnish I should be trying? Again, I love the added depth in the black but the canvas is too shiny.
-
Yes, satin timeless is the way to go. That’s all I’ve ever used.
John
Hello. I am printing from a 9570 to BC LYVE. Images are very dark with lots of black details. Spraying with timeless glossy makes them all pop and the blacks much richer. But the sheen is really high. I tried the matte as well but too milky in the blacks. Is satin the "just right" answer? Is it the same as mixing glossy and matte 1;1?
Or is there another brand of varnish I should be trying? Again, I love the added depth in the black but the canvas is too shiny.
-
The Satin finish might just be the right fit for you - it's a nice middle ground between the high shine of glossy and the flat appearance of matte. However, it isn't quite the same as mixing glossy and matte 1:1; the results can vary.
As for other varnish brands, Hahnemuhle Protective Spray is a popular one known for its balanced finish. But if you love how Timeless enhances the blacks, you might want to stick with it and just try to adjust the finish.
-
The Satin finish might just be the right fit for you - it's a nice middle ground between the high shine of glossy and the flat appearance of matte. However, it isn't quite the same as mixing glossy and matte 1:1; the results can vary.
As for other varnish brands, Hahnemuhle Protective Spray is a popular one known for its balanced finish. But if you love how Timeless enhances the blacks, you might want to stick with it and just try to adjust the finish.
Thank you. I spoke with BC and asked since I have both Matte and Glossy if I could just mix them. They replied yes and no reason to order as Satin is just a mix of the two. Going to experiment today on different ratios.
-
If you're doing multiple coats then stick with glossy for all but the last coat.
-
Glossy is just the varnish with no additive. Tiny flakes of mica are added to cut the glossy finish. So when you mix matte with glossy all you're doing is adding a little bit of mica to cut the gloss.
-
Glossy is just the varnish with no additive. Tiny flakes of mica are added to cut the glossy finish. So when you mix matte with glossy all you're doing is adding a little bit of mica to cut the gloss.
Thanks for the explaination
-
I've printed for 5 years with BC Lyve and Timeless Satin using the Canon Prograf 4000 with excellent results. Sold hundreds of canvas wraps with this combo. I use a Fuji HVLP gun. Usually apply 3 to 4 coats. I tried the glossy but did not like its appearance and sheen. I recently switched to Premier Art Eco Print Shield in satin. The appearance of the two varnishes are very similar. I found for the same number of coats Print Shield is more scuff and water resistant than Timeless. I think of it as insurance for clients who don't treat their art as careful as they should. I am also less worried about shipping and delivery canvas wraps.
Eco Print Shield has much less odor than Timeless. I do wear a full-face mask respirator when spraying and have a ventilated space. The biggest downside of Eco Print Shield is that it is very thick compared to Timeless. Consequently, I go through more varnish. It literally sticks to the interior of the pot. More importantly, to spray it effectively I feel like I need to switch out the paint gun screen strainer with a wider mesh filter. If anyone uses Print Shield and has a suggestion in that regard, please pass it along.
-
Shouldn’t be that thick. Dilute with distilled water and apply three light coats.
I've printed for 5 years with BC Lyve and Timeless Satin using the Canon Prograf 4000 with excellent results. Sold hundreds of canvas wraps with this combo. I use a Fuji HVLP gun. Usually apply 3 to 4 coats. I tried the glossy but did not like its appearance and sheen. I recently switched to Premier Art Eco Print Shield in satin. The appearance of the two varnishes are very similar. I found for the same number of coats Print Shield is more scuff and water resistant than Timeless. I think of it as insurance for clients who don't treat their art as careful as they should. I am also less worried about shipping and delivery canvas wraps.
Eco Print Shield has much less odor than Timeless. I do wear a full-face mask respirator when spraying and have a ventilated space. The biggest downside of Eco Print Shield is that it is very thick compared to Timeless. Consequently, I go through more varnish. It literally sticks to the interior of the pot. More importantly, to spray it effectively I feel like I need to switch out the paint gun screen strainer with a wider mesh filter. If anyone uses Print Shield and has a suggestion in that regard, please pass it along.
-
In Eco’s specs they have dilution directions for spraying. Up to 20% added distilled water.
Dilution: ECO can be diluted up to 20% with distilled or filtered water to thin down for spray guns or roller application. (DO Not Shake After Dilution) This is your working solution.
-
Spoke to a rep for Premier Eco Print Shield who suggested rather than diluting the varnish I would get better results if I strain the varnish putting it into HVLP pot and don't use the strainer that attaches the HVLP gun, which may have such a tight weave that it negatively affects spraying. I tried his suggestion and the results were better.
-
What I like about Timeless is you dont need to dilute it. Found it’s perfect for my Fuji unit.
It also doesn’t seem to need stirring like their previous formula. I have a half gallon that’s old an expired for years . Bought some new bottles because I thought it might be bad. Pulled it out of the closet after 3 years and it never became solid at the bottom. It still works normally without even stirring and mixing .
This stuff is just easy to use in my experience. I have to say after all these years of using this with their Lyve canvas I’ve never had a flawed product from them.
quote author=ourayimage link=topic=142623.msg1254031#msg1254031 date=1688080106]
Spoke to a rep for Premier Eco Print Shield who suggested rather than diluting the varnish I would get better results if I strain the varnish putting it into HVLP pot and don't use the strainer that attaches the HVLP gun, which may have such a tight weave that it negatively affects spraying. I tried his suggestion and the results were better.
[/quote]