Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 20, 2023, 06:54:50 am

Title: The Dolomighties
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 20, 2023, 06:54:50 am
Or the Mighty Dolomites (Italian Alps):

Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: David Eckels on June 20, 2023, 11:05:20 am
Wow!
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: francois on June 20, 2023, 11:42:01 am
Really a powerful shot!
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Mark Nadler on June 20, 2023, 02:44:37 pm
I like how you developed this image.

mark
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 21, 2023, 03:09:01 am
Well done.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Bob_B on June 21, 2023, 06:45:07 am
+1
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: RMW on June 21, 2023, 04:23:38 pm
+2
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Chris Kern on June 21, 2023, 06:17:53 pm
Interesting, non-obvious composition, and excellent treatment.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: RMW on June 22, 2023, 12:15:16 pm
To relate a sea urchins and a steep mountain top is brilliant.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 26, 2023, 07:21:46 pm
Great composition and lots of drama.

..a bit of haloing around the top of the peak though, but I assume that is just the result of this being a lower res jpg and so is an artefact of the compression algorithm and will not be there in the full sized image.  ;)

But other than that, quality work Slobodan. Well done.

Dave
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: armand on June 26, 2023, 09:01:38 pm
Nice!
I’m curious if you have versions from few steps to the left
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 27, 2023, 05:30:14 am
Thank you all for the kind words.


...a bit of haloing around the top of the peak though, but I assume that is just the result of this being a lower res jpg and so is an artefact of the compression algorithm and will not be there in the full sized image.  ;)...

You are right, Dave, as usual. I also assumed initially that it must be a compression artifact. Upon closer inspection, it turns out it was somewhat less than ideal "Objects" masking by Lightroom. Once refined, the haloing is gone. Thanks for pointing it out.

Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 27, 2023, 05:51:09 am
... I’m curious if you have versions from few steps to the left

I have several from a few steps in the opposite direction. As you can see from the attached file, I wasn't happy about the muddy foreground, so I did move to the left. Could have I moved even more to the left, as you suggest? Possibly. The reason I framed it as it is, is that I wanted for the tip of the reflection to be unobscured by the patches of grass (or "sea urchins," as someone observed). Something I doubt I could have achieved had I moved even further to the left.

Additionally, it was a rather hard shot physically. I had to literally straddle the mud, resting my feet on two dry patches of grass. The ground was very soggy from the constant raining the night and days before, and it was like walking on a fully-soaked sponge. I had my brand-new hiking boots on, $300, Italian, hand-made, all-leather inside and outside, and zero desire to subject them to such an ugly test  ;) And the reason I had brand new boots is that my old, trusted, Timberland/GoreTex ones just died on me the day before, leaving my feet completely, utterly wet, to the point you could squeeze a gallon of water from the socks alone  :(
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: MattBurt on June 27, 2023, 11:22:23 am
Lovely image. I think you composition decisions were on point.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Arlen on June 27, 2023, 12:51:27 pm
A beautiful image, very well done. And I think you made the right decision to go with B&W. It's much more dramatic that way.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 27, 2023, 05:00:55 pm
The halo-less B&W is beautiful. But the colour scene has much promise had it not been for the foreground issues you mention.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Mark Nadler on June 27, 2023, 08:01:00 pm
I also like the color image.  If you crop just below the cloud reflections the image has an attractive symmetry.

mark
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 28, 2023, 06:50:53 am
I also like the color image.  If you crop just below the cloud reflections the image has an attractive symmetry...

Ok, then... by popular demand...  :)
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: armand on June 28, 2023, 09:53:39 am
I have several from a few steps in the opposite direction. As you can see from the attached file, I wasn't happy about the muddy foreground, so I did move to the left. Could have I moved even more to the left, as you suggest? Possibly. The reason I framed it as it is, is that I wanted for the tip of the reflection to be unobscured by the patches of grass (or "sea urchins," as someone observed). Something I doubt I could have achieved had I moved even further to the left.

Additionally, it was a rather hard shot physically. I had to literally straddle the mud, resting my feet on two dry patches of grass. The ground was very soggy from the constant raining the night and days before, and it was like walking on a fully-soaked sponge. I had my brand-new hiking boots on, $300, Italian, hand-made, all-leather inside and outside, and zero desire to subject them to such an ugly test  ;) And the reason I had brand new boots is that my old, trusted, Timberland/GoreTex ones just died on me the day before, leaving my feet completely, utterly wet, to the point you could squeeze a gallon of water from the socks alone  :(

Thanks, that’s why I asked and didn’t assume it would be better that way.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 28, 2023, 12:01:08 pm
Mighty fine, and well worth risking your fancy boots!
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Arlen on June 28, 2023, 11:52:56 pm
It is indeed very nice in color. Personally, though, I would still have to give my nod to the black and white.
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: francois on June 29, 2023, 03:47:24 am
Mighty fine, and well worth risking your fancy boots!

Or go barefoot!  :D
Title: Re: The Dolomighties
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on July 03, 2023, 05:43:10 am
Thank you all for the kind words.


You are right, Dave, as usual. I also assumed initially that it must be a compression artifact. Upon closer inspection, it turns out it was somewhat less than ideal "Objects" masking by Lightroom. Once refined, the haloing is gone. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes that fixed it  ;)

Dave