Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Arlen on June 19, 2023, 11:33:24 pm

Title: View from the Grotto
Post by: Arlen on June 19, 2023, 11:33:24 pm
It takes a while to get up here, but the view from the natural grotto behind the falls on this little creek in the Oregon Cascades is inspiring.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 20, 2023, 03:02:51 am
Indeed it is, well done.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: francois on June 20, 2023, 03:49:27 am
Superb contrast… I also like the vibrant green moss at the base of the falls.
I like it a lot, bravo.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Bob_B on June 20, 2023, 06:47:20 am
The cool of the grotto definitely comes through.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Arlen on June 23, 2023, 10:34:52 am
Thanks for your feedback, guys.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: David Eckels on June 23, 2023, 11:23:28 am
I think this is truly fantastic. One little nit: The foreground does not contribute much, IMHO. I'd crop approx the bottom 1/4th.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Mark Nadler on June 24, 2023, 04:20:20 pm
I agree with David.

mark
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: MattBurt on June 26, 2023, 03:37:39 pm
I love that light and contrast! I think I agree about the crop but I also think it stands up well as it is.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 26, 2023, 04:33:06 pm
I love that light and contrast! I think I agree about the crop but I also think it stands up well as it is.
Me too.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Arlen on June 26, 2023, 11:34:13 pm
Thank you, gentlemen, for the additional feedback.

David, part of what I was trying to do was to preserve some sense of that grotto behind the falls, because it was large, interesting, and a unique viewpoint. However, the waterfall was the main point of interest so I did play with a variety of crops. One of them was similar to what you are suggesting, and I had a hard time deciding between them. Attached is that alternate crop, so you folks can decide for yourselves which you prefer.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: MattBurt on June 27, 2023, 11:16:03 am
Thank you, gentlemen, for the additional feedback.

David, part of what I was trying to do was to preserve some sense of that grotto behind the falls, because it was large, interesting, and a unique viewpoint. However, the waterfall was the main point of interest so I did play with a variety of crops. One of them was similar to what you are suggesting, and I had a hard time deciding between them. Attached is that alternate crop, so you folks can decide for yourselves which you prefer.

I think that's pretty good. I agree you don't want to lose the grotto its self and this preserves it while eliminating some lower interest shadow area.
Really a nice image and I imagine the dynamic range could have been a challenge. 
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 27, 2023, 05:14:45 pm
Excellent. I agree with David's idea but given the unusual sensitivity some have with regards to cropping suggestions, I prefer to hold my peace :-)
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on June 28, 2023, 04:45:52 pm
Arien,

For me I prefer the crop, just seems right.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Arlen on June 29, 2023, 12:05:12 am
Arien,

For me I prefer the crop, just seems right.

I'm increasingly leaning that way myself. In choosing which crop version to display, I think I might have been overly influenced by I-was-there-ism. I remember the uniqueness of that grotto, which made me want to cram more of it into the picture. At the expense, it now seems, of the overall image.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: David Eckels on June 29, 2023, 12:29:16 am
Arlen, I think the new crop you chose is the right one. IMHO, an improvement, but it is up to you. A very nice image either way.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on June 29, 2023, 05:26:54 pm
Arien,

What I wished to express,... is that the second image felt as if I was there.

It is what made me decide.  Both are lovely.
Title: Re: View from the Grotto
Post by: Arlen on June 29, 2023, 05:55:19 pm
Thank you, David and Leszek, for your continued interest. I think we are all in agreement now. The tighter crop makes for a more compelling image.