Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on June 07, 2023, 04:39:00 pm
-
Seriously Canada, you're ruining our skylines. ;D
Air quality alert: Smoke from wildfires in Canada leads to code red across Delaware Valley (https://6abc.com/air-quality-alert-smoke-in-philadelphia-canada-wildfires-pa/13354267/)
Experts break down why smoke from Canadian wildfires are causing hazardous air quality in US (https://abc7ny.com/nyc-smoke-air-quality-alert-nj-canada-wildfire/13355066/)
I never thought I would actually be considering wearing a mask outdoors. ;)
Makes for interesting pictures though.
Anyway, how bad are the fires up there?
-
Usually it's California hazing up my photos
-
Bring back Trump and he will, like he did in the south, build a wall along your northern border.....a really really really tall wall. That will solve your problem.
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective I suppose, we have a heck of a lot of lumber up here. Which equates to a heck of a lot of fuel. A couple lightening strikes and/or careless humans and things can get out of control real quick.
And if memory serves, I recall a couple years back, we in the greater Vancouver area were suffering smoke issues from fires in Washington and Oregon states.
-
There's a conspiracy theory in this somewhere, I know it. :)
The east has had a very dry spring. Throw in a lightning bolt or a cigarette butt or two and there's a mess on our hands.
The smoke blanketed our cities before moving south so we didn't get away easy. We've been cooped up inside for days now.
-
There's a conspiracy theory in this somewhere, I know it. :)
The east has had a very dry spring. Throw in a lightning bolt or a cigarette butt or two and there's a mess on our hands.
The smoke blanketed our cities before moving south so we didn't get away easy. We've been cooped up inside for days now.
I made the mistake of thinking the worse had passed us by and went for a 30 mile bike ride yesterday. Just when I started to turn around, a giant plume was coming down to Philly.
My mild cough when I got back lead to much sulking, head shaking and eye rolling from my other half.
Hey, but the trail was dead and I got see to plenty of rabbits, chipmunks, ground hogs, and a vulture eating a dead ground hog. Interesting ride.
-
I made the mistake of thinking the worse had passed us by and went for a 30 mile bike ride yesterday. Just when I started to turn around, a giant plume was coming down to Philly.
My mild cough when I got back lead to much sulking, head shaking and eye rolling from my other half.
Hey, but the trail was dead and I got see to plenty of rabbits, chipmunks, ground hogs, and a vulture eating a dead ground hog. Interesting ride.
Reports are that the Quebec fires are shrinking, air is much better here in Ottawa. No smell and haze is gone. Should be ok to bike again in a day or two.
I saw a news report about MTG blaming the fires on "Climate Cult Canada". I'm going to miss her when she's gone.
-
Reports are that the Quebec fires are shrinking, air is much better here in Ottawa. No smell and haze is gone. Should be ok to bike again in a day or two.
I saw a news report about MTG blaming the fires on "Climate Cult Canada". I'm going to miss her when she's gone.
I'm liking this story much better, Trudeau Swears This Black Stuff On His Face Is From The Wildfire Smoke (https://babylonbee.com/news/trudeau-swears-this-black-stuff-on-his-face-is-from-the-wildfire-smoke)
-
I'm liking this story much better, Trudeau Swears This Black Stuff On His Face Is From The Wildfire Smoke (https://babylonbee.com/news/trudeau-swears-this-black-stuff-on-his-face-is-from-the-wildfire-smoke)
It was certainly a dumb thing to do, nobody ever accused him of high intellect. To be fair though, the incident does date back to 2001 and he only did it the one time, while MTG continues to make an ass of herself several times per week. And so far, I've never heard her apologize. OTOH, she may not have enough brains to figure out that she has something to apologize for. :)
I happen to have met a few people in my life whose motto was "Never explain, never apologize" and even bragged about it, despite being way over 12 years old at the time. My take on people like that is, "Never call them."
But this is just silly "what aboutism".
To paraphrase Sam Harris's often asked and very pertinent question, how many times do people have to apologize for the same error? Is there really no way to find a way back from a dumb move? OTOH, I have no problem poking fun at politicians.
Everything, including politicians, have a shelf life. I think JT should have said goodbye last year, would have been a good moment. Must be good jobs the way people try to hang onto them.
The good news is that the Quebec forest fires have abated. No bad smell here today other than the manure that my neighbour spread on her new garden expansion.
-
It was certainly a dumb thing to do, nobody ever accused him of high intellect. To be fair though, the incident does date back to 2001 and he only did it the one time, while MTG continues to make an ass of herself several times per week. And so far, I've never heard her apologize. OTOH, she may not have enough brains to figure out that she has something to apologize for. :)
I happen to have met a few people in my life whose motto was "Never explain, never apologize" and even bragged about it, despite being way over 12 years old at the time. My take on people like that is, "Never call them."
But this is just silly "what aboutism".
To paraphrase Sam Harris's often asked and very pertinent question, how many times do people have to apologize for the same error? Is there really no way to find a way back from a dumb move? OTOH, I have no problem poking fun at politicians.
Everything, including politicians, have a shelf life. I think JT should have said goodbye last year, would have been a good moment. Must be good jobs the way people try to hang onto them.
The good news is that the Quebec forest fires have abated. No bad smell here today other than the manure that my neighbour spread on her new garden expansion.
Thanks for taking what was meant as a joke uber serious.
Anyway, I got other things to worry about. Apparently the Hunger Games are about to start in Philly.
Part of I-95 in Philadelphia could be shut down for months after collapse (https://6abc.com/i-95-collapsed-in-philadelphia-fire-overpass/13371656/)
I dont think this could have happened in a worse spot.
-
Hopefully the support beams and columns are not damaged significantly. Replacing the roadway steel support beams and road deck will be bad enough. Used to drive that section routinely between downtown and Bristol. The surface roads are going to be horrible. Hope you are located well away from the area.
-
I'm in Roxborough, so it does not directly effect me. Although they are directing traffic via Woodhaven onto the Roosevelt Blvd and down to I76. It's going to be a total mess.
What gets me though, are the videos of people driving over the overpass with huge flames shooting out both sides and black smoke billowing into the sky. I am surprised no car fell into it when it collapsed.