Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on June 07, 2023, 01:06:09 pm

Title: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 07, 2023, 01:06:09 pm
Ljótipollur - study in light. (https://blog.parrikar.com/2023/06/07/ljotipollur-crater-lake/)

Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: armand on June 07, 2023, 11:59:45 pm
Stunning as usual!
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 08, 2023, 06:53:31 am
Stunning as usual!

Thanks, Armand.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 08, 2023, 04:20:22 pm
Glorious!
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: francois on June 09, 2023, 02:44:44 am
Those colors are really incredible. Some people would easily believe that it's just Photoshop  :D
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 09, 2023, 04:20:59 am
Eric & Francois - thank you.

Francois - in the right conditions many of the sights in the Icelandic Highlands may lead one to believe it is AI generated landscape. I had to be careful to tone down saturation in the red and the cyan-blue of the lake after any contrast adjustment.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: francois on June 09, 2023, 09:15:29 am
Eric & Francois - thank you.

Francois - in the right conditions many of the sights in the Icelandic Highlands may lead one to believe it is AI generated landscape. I had to be careful to tone down saturation in the red and the cyan-blue of the lake after any contrast adjustment.

Thanks for the info. My last visit in Iceland wasn't that colorful and weather was really bad and overcast with rain. That being said, I enjoyed Iceland.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 14, 2023, 04:14:46 am
Fantastic.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: MattBurt on June 14, 2023, 11:29:26 am
Very nice image. The dappled light adds a lot and and of course the subject is awe inspiring.
I've just gotten a drone myself so I hope to get a little of this kind of perspective into my work as well. So far I'm just trying to get proficient at flying it.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 15, 2023, 10:51:55 am
Fantastic.

Very nice image. The dappled light adds a lot and and of course the subject is awe inspiring.
I've just gotten a drone myself so I hope to get a little of this kind of perspective into my work as well. So far I'm just trying to get proficient at flying it.

Thank you, Paulo and Matt.

Matt - great to hear and looking forward to seeing your drone work. This particular image was taken in 2020 from a Cessna. Impossible to plan for any scene in Iceland. One simply takes what one gets depending on the conditions at that moment. Multiple visits may help but luck goes a long way.


Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: MattBurt on June 15, 2023, 06:32:41 pm
Thank you, Paulo and Matt.

Matt - great to hear and looking forward to seeing your drone work. This particular image was taken in 2020 from a Cessna. Impossible to plan for any scene in Iceland. One simply takes what one gets depending on the conditions at that moment. Multiple visits may help but luck goes a long way.

Yes, it's similar in Colorado. Maybe not impossible but at least a couple levels of contingency is usually a good idea. Or at least when it's good it is. Sometimes it's cloudless for weeks but that usually kills my desire to shoot landscapes.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: David Eckels on June 15, 2023, 07:16:24 pm
I had to be careful to tone down saturation in the red and the cyan-blue of the lake after any contrast adjustment.
Masterfully done. Thank you for showing this.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: armand on June 17, 2023, 11:09:06 pm
Very nice image. The dappled light adds a lot and and of course the subject is awe inspiring.
I've just gotten a drone myself so I hope to get a little of this kind of perspective into my work as well. So far I'm just trying to get proficient at flying it.

Which drone? I've been contemplating getting one for a long time but I can't use it in national parks and I do find them bothersome when people use them around me and still thinking how to mitigate that.
Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on June 18, 2023, 04:58:23 am
Which drone? I've been contemplating getting one for a long time but I can't use it in national parks and I do find them bothersome when people use them around me and still thinking how to mitigate that.

The new line of DJI drone is much quieter. Flying near people is a no-no, but I hear you.

In Iceland one is required to apply for permission to fly in the national park areas. Outside of them flying is allowed unless expressly prohibited by a "No Drone" sign. Also, Icelandic etiquette dictates that if you are on a farm, you must first go meet the farmer and ask for his approval. Increasingly this is becoming an issue with intrusive tourists. What was not long ago an open, friendly, and welcoming environment, now changed on account of mass tourism.

*****
Thank you, David.


Title: Re: Ljótipollur Crater Lake
Post by: Arlen on June 19, 2023, 09:33:24 pm
Beautiful, defined by both the colors and the play of the lines.