Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2023, 05:25:52 am

Title: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2023, 05:25:52 am
From a couple of weeks ago.

Another hidden away Scottish viewpoint that I have photographed many times, yet I had never been here to shoot it in springtime, when the gauze was in full bloom.

Dave
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Bob_B on June 03, 2023, 06:53:06 am
Very moody and evocative scene. Nicely done.
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: francois on June 03, 2023, 08:02:22 am
I like them both and the yellow flowers really brighten up the dark mood.
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Mark Nadler on June 03, 2023, 08:42:25 am
The structure appears to be an organic part of the landscape.  I like both images. 

mark
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 03, 2023, 10:25:16 am
Thanks everyone  :)

As I say, been here lots of time and never got anything worthwhile. But on this occasion, with the yellow gauze in full swing, I walked away with a least half a dozen reasonably good shots.

I am going to write another small photographer's guide to this location at some point and add it onto my website (see below for a link to lots of free extra chapters). So if you want to know where this is and how to get there, for the next time you are wondering where else to shoot in Scotland, other than all the usual honeypot locations, then keep an eye out for the update..

Cheers guys..

Dave
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: francois on June 05, 2023, 04:41:35 am
It reminds of a place called Tioram Castle but I'm probably wrong both on the place and also on the spelling of Tioram Castle…
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 05, 2023, 05:00:33 am
Subdued and moody, well done.
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on June 06, 2023, 05:01:49 am
It reminds of a place called Tioram Castle but I'm probably wrong both on the place and also on the spelling of Tioram Castle…

Yes you are correct Francios, it is indeed Tioram Castle and which you have spelt correctly.

But 'Tioram' is yet another one of those Scottish Gaelic words, that is pronounced nothing like it is spelt and is actually pronounced locally as 'Cheerum'.

Yet no one local ever calls it that either and instead, it is commonly referred to it as the "Dry Castle".

Well spotted..

Dave
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: francois on June 06, 2023, 08:16:22 am
Thanks a lot Dave for the additional info. The Scottish pronunciation is funny as some Swiss people from the west of the country would pronounce Tioram almost right. I didn't know about the Dry Castle name, I've been there a very long time ago (around 2005).
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: David Eckels on June 06, 2023, 12:01:50 pm
Very moody and evocative scene. Nicely done.
Aye!
Title: Re: Springtime in Scotland - and a castle (2 shots)
Post by: MattBurt on June 06, 2023, 05:40:54 pm
Nice work. Agreed about the flowers really adding something. I like the moody sky too.