Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: rgs on May 14, 2023, 12:20:22 am

Title: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: rgs on May 14, 2023, 12:20:22 am
My first interest in wildlife photography was having the critter be an element in a Landscape, but some photographs are a bit hard to pin down. So, here's a Baltimore Oriole I photographed at Oklahoma City's Lake Hefner this week. Tell me what you think.
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: David Eckels on May 14, 2023, 08:48:54 am
I think the left-right connection between the bird and the bug calls for landscape. Nice photo.
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: francois on May 14, 2023, 09:02:53 am
Great shot and I agree with David. Without the bug, it would be more portrait but once you include other elements like the bug, things change.
Well done (portrait or landscape)!
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: PeterAit on May 14, 2023, 09:54:21 am
I think the left-right connection between the bird and the bug calls for landscape. Nice photo.

I agree.
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: RSL on May 14, 2023, 03:41:03 pm
What difference could it possibly make?
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: degrub on May 14, 2023, 04:25:48 pm
angels dancing on a pin. ;D
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: rgs on May 14, 2023, 04:39:33 pm
What difference could it possibly make?

None, really. But it sometimes helps to get aa clear purpose.
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 15, 2023, 10:31:43 am
I like it as it is. I think the framing needs some space in the direction the bird is looking at.
Title: Re: Portrait or Landscape?
Post by: Chris Kern on May 15, 2023, 11:53:05 am
I like it as it is. I think the framing needs some space in the direction the bird is looking at.

Hmmm.  My inclination would be for a tighter crop to accentuate the juxtaposition of the bird and the insect—maybe a 5:4 aspect ratio (attached).