Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on April 17, 2023, 12:45:24 pm

Title: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: William Walker on April 17, 2023, 12:45:24 pm
I was reading an article by Ben Lifson in which he says, "you can take a photograph, anywhere, any time, of anything - and if you are photographing well, you will make a good photograph."

I have been living in the Swartland for eight years and never once thought of going out in the midday sun to take landscape pictures so I took up the challenge.

These photographs show the area at its driest, and, I always thought, its most un-photogenic.

I would like to know what you guys think... ;D

William.

PS. If you look carefully, in one of the images, you will see Cape Town's Table Mountain in the distance!







Title: Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: Mark Nadler on April 17, 2023, 04:08:58 pm
Just to reinforce your thinking I look for images when I have free time.  Morning, mid-day, rain, whatever, if I have free time I pick up my camera and go hunting for something cool to photograph.  I treat my fly rod and shotguns the same way when in season. 

I think the last image is good.  I would reposition the subject so that it was closer to the middle of the frame -- just my opinion. 

mark
Title: Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: Mark Nadler on April 17, 2023, 07:12:30 pm
Sorry, ignore my advice.  When i opened your image only part of it showed on my screen.  Sorry.  I made eliminate the bit of dirt to the right of the subject.

mark
Title: Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: francois on April 18, 2023, 05:23:56 am
Absolutely fantastic landscapes. I like the sensation of vast expanses of land and this is reinforced by the lighting conditions.
You didn't waste your time at all.
Well done.
Title: Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 22, 2023, 07:59:32 am
I second the idea of going out to shoot when the spirit moves you, regardless of the time of day (or night).

For me, #1 and #3 would look best in the light of the low sun. #2 and #4 work very well just the way they are.
Title: Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
Post by: William Walker on April 22, 2023, 08:52:50 am
Thank you very much for your feedback, I always value your opinions! ;D