Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: RicAgu on January 15, 2007, 10:37:31 pm
-
HELLO ALL,
Can anyone tell me what they are using for an overlay to mask the digital crop on an RZ screen?
Is anyone out there using the RZ with digital anymore? If so, which backs are you using and what has been your experience digital on the RZ as far as the syncing cables?
Which back has the lease amount of cables? I believe the Phase need two to three cables. What has the experience been with the Hassy CF and Leaf Aptus?
Thanks in Advance!
Ric
-
each back come with a mask for its sensor size for the camera ordered.
problem with the rz is that the widest lens is a 50mm, which on the sensor is a medium wide angle, it equals about a 35mm on 35mm film. otherwise its a great camera, i had one.
dont know about the cables, try a phase one dealer. www.captureintegration.com or www.digitaltransitions.com
-
Mamiya make marked focusing screens for the RZ in 48X36 and 41X31 sizes. They can be ordered through any Mamiya or Leaf dealer.
On a non-D RZ, a Leaf back (V, AFD or H mount) requires one sync cable from the lens to the back. If the camera has a motordrive and you want to trigger it from the computer (when tethered), there's another cable that goes from the back to the motor.
These cables are supplied with the Leaf interface plate, along with a marked focusing screen.
If you have a ProIId body, then you can use a Mamiya interface plate that allows to discard the cables as it uses the same communication protocol as the AFD. In that case the back has to be in AFD mount.
All the above options allow you to rotate the back on the camera without taking it off.
Yair
PS I have a PDF file with a 48X36 mask that can be printed out on film or acetate and dropped onto the focusing screen. Let me know if it can help you.
-
same for any Sinarback:
- the Sinarback requires one single cable from lens to back in Master mode.
- two cables are needed if you want to use the Slave mode (tethered and triggeredg from the computer).
Al these cables are art of the Sina adapter kit for the back, together with a marked focussing screen.
- And same for the Pro IID: no cables required, only the Sinarback adapter to the camera body.
Thierry
Sinar AG Switzerland
-
Ric,
I shoot with a Mamiya RZ Pro II and a Phase One back. Two cables are required to connect the DB to the camera. One cable (pc to pc) goes from the lens to the adapter plate. The second goes from the apapter plate to the electronic shutter release port on the RZ body. To get a better handle on the RZ, I recommend using the L-grip.
Chris
-
Yair,
Do you can send me RZ 48x36 crop mask PDF?
-
....problem with the rz is that the widest lens is a 50mm...
Mamiya makes(made?) a 37mm for the RZ67. barrel distortion like a motherf#ck%r, but plenty wide!
-Dan
-
Mamiya makes(made?) a 37mm for the RZ67. barrel distortion like a motherf#ck%r, but plenty wide!
the 37mm is a fish eye, 180 degrees full frame on 6x7.
what is the effective focal length if distorsion is software corrected?
-
PS I have a PDF file with a 48X36 mask that can be printed out on film or acetate and dropped onto the focusing screen. Let me know if it can help you.
Would you be so kind to send me one?
itsskin at gmail.com
Thx!!!
-
Not sure exactly what the effective focal length of a corrected 37mm image is, but I use the Aptus 75 and RZ 37mm, an the result seems line about 28mm to me after correcting using capture 1.
example1 (http://flic.kr/p/9pjmbC)
Example2 (http://flic.kr/p/9oudV6)
Example3 (http://flic.kr/p/9oxjfW)
As an aside; Capture 1 has a distortion slider which when slid all the way to the maximum "120" setting, nearly, but not quite de-fisheyes the 37mm, and therefore it's a very easy correction to make. I've submitted a request for Phase One to allow more than "120", but it didn't make it into 6.2
Mark B
-
Not sure exactly what the effective focal length of a corrected 37mm image is, but I use the Aptus 75 and RZ 37mm, an the result seems line about 28mm to me after correcting using capture 1.
example1 (http://flic.kr/p/9pjmbC)
Example2 (http://flic.kr/p/9oudV6)
Example3 (http://flic.kr/p/9oxjfW)
As an aside; Capture 1 has a distortion slider which when slid all the way to the maximum "120" setting, nearly, but not quite de-fisheyes the 37mm, and therefore it's a very easy correction to make. I've submitted a request for Phase One to allow more than "120", but it didn't make it into 6.2
Mark B
Mark, how do you find the image quality with the Aptus 75 and the 37mm? I love the RZ67, but the lack of a wide option for digital has held me back a bit.
Cheers
Dave
-
Dave,
I love it. It all seems to work fine - I have the Aptus 75 (M645 mount), a mamiya HX704 plate (which i've been told is the same as the leaf one) and both RZ67, and 67-proII bodies. I don't get EXIF, and need to use a synch cable, but that is no real hardship If I splashed out for a Pro-IId and the matching adaptor, I could do away with the cable and regain the exif.
If you've used the RZ then you'll be aware of the quality of images it can produce. I especially like the 180mm and the 65mm, but all the lenses are good. The 37 needs some correction as it is a fisheye, but that correction is aways the same (so I just make a profile in Capture 1, and apply it to all images from the 37mm)
Mark B
-
Thanks for the info Mark, it's very tempting.
I used a rz67 pro ii a few years back and absolutely loved it. I'm really just looking for an excuse to get one again :)