Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Dward on February 03, 2023, 10:21:04 pm
-
Strange problem. Mac OS 13, PS 24.0.1, Mac Studio. When opening tif files from my hard drive, I'm getting a black rectangle filling the block where the image should be.
I can get the image to appear by applying a filter or adjustment to it--something like 'auto contrast' makes the image appear. And then I just cancel the auto contrast or whatever change I clicked to make the image show up. But I can't figure out what's causing the images not to open correctly. Any ideas???
thanks,
David V. Ward
-
Where are the tif files coming from?
They may have been saved with layers or extra channels like masks.
-
Have you done the usual things for fixing Photoshop glitches? First, reset preferences. If problem persists, uninstall then reinstall.
-
First, try disabling GPU in the Photoshop preferences (Performance tab). Also try the Preferences > Technology Previews... and enable "Older GPU mode (pre 2016)" - Restart Photoshop.. Any better?
If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. In your case, that's Apple.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.
Also see:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted. If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
-
Andrew,
Your final comment about version 2 vs version 4 ICC profiles was timely. I had just recalibrated my iMac using my Spyder5. After that, I could no longer get an image to display in Epson Print Layout using Edit-In from LR. I do this so I can get an idea how a B&W image will look with ABW before I then print it in LR. Checking the settings for the Spyder5 software, it was set to create a version 4 profile. Changed that to version 2, recalibrated and now I can get the image to display in EPL.
Thanks for the tip...
-
thanks for the suggestions. I restarted,reset PS preferences and the problem seems to have disappeared. All the files had been previously flattened.
many thanks for the help!
David Ward