Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: rvonmayr on January 15, 2007, 12:49:19 pm
-
This may have been answered before - but if you are feeding cut paper into the Epson 3800, how long is the maximum print? A friend of mine does Xpan images and needs 38.5" long to print them. Will that work on a 3800?
Thanks.
-
This may have been answered before - but if you are feeding cut paper into the Epson 3800, how long is the maximum print? A friend of mine does Xpan images and needs 38.5" long to print them. Will that work on a 3800?
Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The max print length is 37.4 inches using the Epson driver. If you need anything longer (like 38.5 inches) you will need to use the ImagePrint RIP to get around the Epson driver limit. Or you'll need to use another printer.
Eric
-
If you're on windows, Qimage will let you print longer than the native driver.
-
Thanks Eric!
-
If you're on windows, Qimage will let you print longer than the native driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95846\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't think so Tim... AFAIK, Q-Image on Win uses the Epson driver to set all printing parameters such as paper type, feed source and size. It does allow for color management, but then just sends the printer an optimally sized and sharpened image so the driver does not need to interpolate.
Cheers,
-
I don't think so Tim... AFAIK, Q-Image on Win uses the Epson driver to set all printing parameters such as paper type, feed source and size. It does allow for color management, but then just sends the printer an optimally sized and sharpened image so the driver does not need to interpolate.
Cheers,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95851\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I asked Mike Chaney specifically before my 3800 arrived about Qimage being able to print longer than the 37+" and he said unless it had banner support Qimage could not print longer than that. I did read that Imageprint would allow you to do this. I'm printing from PS (and in fact am using Jack's action for resizing). I've used Qimage for years, but generally just use it when I need various sizes quickly from the same file. I prefer to do my own resizing, sharpening, etc.
You will also have to cut sheets from a 17" roll for longer than 22" --or buy larger sheets and cut from them. I am easily cutting 17 x 26 sheets and printing with no problems (user defined sizes). I made myself a decurler and am decurling these but could probably not until I get closer to the middle of the roll.
Diane
-
I asked Mike Chaney specifically before my 3800 arrived about Qimage being able to print longer than the 37+" and he said unless it had banner support Qimage could not print longer than that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Diane, could you tell us if your 3800 does have the banner support?
-
Diane, could you tell us if your 3800 does have the banner support?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It does not have banner support. Originally Epson claimed that teh 37 inch limit was an XP problem. That would hardly explain the same limit in a MAC driver.
I expect that the lack of banner support is quite deliberate.
Imageprint will print longer but that is an expensive solution to printing panoramas.
-
It does not have banner support. Originally Epson claimed that teh 37 inch limit was an XP problem. That would hardly explain the same limit in a MAC driver.
I expect that the lack of banner support is quite deliberate.
Imageprint will print longer but that is an expensive solution to printing panoramas.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree, altho' this fact was certainly talked about at length on a number of forums so most people should have been aware of it. Then again--there ARE people who buy printers that don't frequent forums LOL.
For me, it doesn't matter---37 1/4" is plenty long enough for my few 3 flat stitch panel panos (tilt/shift lens) and my most frequent large media will be 16" x 24" so a printer with banner/roll support wasn't needed. I've had 2 smaller printers with that option (1280 and 2200) and have never used it, preferring to print sheets instead. For others it could be the one thing that will turn them toward the 4800--or Canon.
Diane