Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on January 05, 2023, 11:58:08 am

Title: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: MattBurt on January 05, 2023, 11:58:08 am
I drove over the divide and down to the Front Range to attend an event so I made the most of a couple of winter Monarch Pass crossings.
I brought my backcountry ski gear and while the snowpack is a bit dicey at the moment, I'm familiar enough with the area to know some places I can ski that are not avalanche prone, even when the snow is generally unstable.
On the way over on Tuesday I only climbed and skied a single run. The light was flat and it was very cold and windy. I took a couple of documentary snaps but nothing noteworthy.
On the way back on Wednesday it was later in the day and the sun was actually out for a while. It was also slightly colder (10 F) than the previous day but with a little sun and less wind. I managed to get in a couple of runs of glorious powder skiing and the late afternoon light combined with a clearing storm was pretty nice. Climbing out of my first run I could see a nice sunset starting to form. My problem was I was climbing a ridge that mostly blocked the light so I put everything I had into the climb to maybe catch some of this nice light at the top. I just barely made it and grabbed a few handheld shots (challenging while my heartrate and breathing were still recovering) of the light coming through the trees before it was gone. I then took my final run back toward the car in the dimming twilight. A successful mission!

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52608247864_4d91ee5862_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2o9P2fh)
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: francois on January 05, 2023, 12:12:34 pm
Beautiful light for this winter landscape… I'm envious!
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 06, 2023, 07:02:56 am
Beautiful.
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 06, 2023, 08:55:28 am
Outstanding.
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: David Eckels on January 06, 2023, 09:08:29 am
Lovely
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: petermfiore on January 08, 2023, 06:33:41 am
Beautiful...a subject that will always remain eternally fresh.

Peter
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: Bob_B on January 08, 2023, 07:24:19 am
Real purdy, Matt...real purdy ;)
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 08, 2023, 12:17:16 pm
Real purdy, Matt...real purdy ;)

Lovely light, so yes I too am envious  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: Mark Nadler on January 08, 2023, 05:34:29 pm
Nice image

mark
Title: Re: Last light on fresh snow
Post by: MattBurt on January 09, 2023, 11:24:32 am
Beautiful light for this winter landscape… I'm envious!

Thanks! I'm also a big fan of winter light and winter conditions in general here. I work with a bunch of Florida people who are often somewhat horrified by my outings. Some people just don't get it! :)

Beautiful.

Thanks Paulo!

Outstanding.

Thank you very much Rajan.

Lovely

Thanks!

Beautiful...a subject that will always remain eternally fresh.

Peter

Yes! As long as we still get it. Thank you.

Real purdy, Matt...real purdy ;)

Lovely light, so yes I too am envious  :)

Dave

Thanks! I hope Europe gets theirs soon too!

Nice image

mark

Thank you!