Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cortlander on December 27, 2022, 07:08:41 pm
-
I am in the autumn of my years and semi-retired after a very long career, and able to devote to my photography hobby as my adorable boys run a successful cyber security business that we had started years ago.
I have collected many shots going back half a century. Digitized 2,000 of early memories using an Epson 850 and Silverfast 9. And then from Canon EOS 40D to R5 I have the bulk of my work, landscape, gardens, birds and portraits taken in a home studio. I am not a pro, but have a bit of experience from a long time of taking pictures, processing, printing, matting, framing etc. But now I have time to print my stuff using the latest software etc.
I have several volumes of pictures taken over our travels that have been store in plastic folders with sleeves. But it is not the same as being able to feel the prints as I look at it from time to time. And probably no one will care once I am gone, but I would like to enjoy them while I can.
So, the question is how do you guys store your prints? As you age, do you go back and rekindle old memories?
Enjoy your holidays.
-
The original cabinets in my studio were made for my Epson 4000, 16x24 inches. Next set was for the Epson 7600, 24x36. There was no more room for cabinets after the 9800 and 9900...
Prints up to 24x36 can go into the drawers. Larger need to be rolled up. Most of what I print are on 13x19 and 8.5x11 which can fit in the cabinets but better yet into Itoya books, usually a single-subject or single time period. They can fit almost anywhere...
I want well-printed pix to leave behind and there are several people who want to get their hands on them after I'm gone that I hope isn't to just frisbee into a heap...
-
I want well-printed pix to leave behind and there are several people who want to get their hands on them after I'm gone that I hope isn't to just frisbee into a heap...
:) :) :)
Thanks for responding. I have been using Iltoya till now, and as you do, one topic in each. But to feel each print your drawer option is great. Not sure if at this stage I want to redesign my office.
Happy Holidays
-
In print format, as many as I can. I have 53 hanging in my home, 57 in our vacation lodge and 113 in my studio. Kids probably have 50 between them. Everything else is just on a large Drobo hard drive.
My hopes are that my kids hang on to my 80,000 file library but who knows. No one in their generation prints anything.
-
In print format, as many as I can. I have 53 hanging in my home, 57 in our vacation lodge and 113 in my studio. Kids probably have 50 between them. Everything else is just on a large Drobo hard drive.
My hopes are that my kids hang on to my 80,000 file library but who knows. No one in their generation prints anything.
A few years ago, a dinner guest asked me which was the single moment in making photos that thrilled me the most. It is the moment that a large print comes out of the printer, a very special moment (usually).
-
Perhaps consider flat file cabinets, typically used for blueprints and drawings.
https://www.hannmfg.com/arts-and-crafts---mps-4828.html
The largest drawers I’ve seen are 24”x36”.
-
Perhaps consider flat file cabinets, typically used for blueprints and drawings.
https://www.hannmfg.com/arts-and-crafts---mps-4828.html
The largest drawers I’ve seen are 24”x36”.
Thanks Chris, this looks really good! I am going to dig deeper on what is available.
-
Flat files, map files, or other similar is always a good idea for oversize storage.
A couple of the local archives have these for map and chart storage and they work well. Not sure what the maximum size you can get but probably at least 24x36. From what I remember, they usually are 5-6 drawers tall and have fairly shallow drawers, maybe 2-4 inches. They are much like oversize-pizza boxes made of sheet metal like regular file cabinets for the most part. Anything larger would probably need to be rolled and placed in a cardboard tube which may be the best value for oversize prints.
Mine are made of melamine-covered fiberboard so they are quite bulky overall but in my studio look pretty nice and the tops are good work surfaces for finishing and mounting, at least those counters that aren't already covered with printers, computers, boxes of paper, and prints.
My church also has a collection of my photos that I've donated over the past dozen or so years. They are mostly under 24x36 in poly bags with oversize conservation board stiffeners. Mostly these are enlarged "gang sheets"–oversize "contact" prints of 20-30 3.5x5 images shot as various feasts, funerals, baptisms and weddings. It's in another part of town and another printed archive of my work that's not just a small collection of pieces on the wall and scattered throughout my community.
-
I have 2 flatfiles, both 24x36 (a little bigger all around but will take 24x36 prints). They are not on wheels, I slid them under my work tables to get them out of the way. Both all metal and bought from Charrette many years ago (no longer in business).
-
In the UK there are flat archival storage boxes up to A1 (34" x 24") or A2 (24" x 17"), or flat map chests. Suggest you google either of these in USA if you have not done already.
Jonathan
-
Flat files, map files, or other similar is always a good idea for oversize storage.
These hold 36”x48” but aren’t cheap.
https://www.safcoproducts.com/products/5-drawer-steel-flat-file-for-36-x-48-documents-4998
-
Flat files, map files, or other similar is always a good idea for oversize storage.
A couple of the local archives have these for map and chart storage and they work well. Not sure what the maximum size you can get but probably at least 24x36. From what I remember, they usually are 5-6 drawers tall and have fairly shallow drawers, maybe 2-4 inches. They are much like oversize-pizza boxes made of sheet metal like regular file cabinets for the most part. Anything larger would probably need to be rolled and placed in a cardboard tube which may be the best value for oversize prints.
Mine are made of melamine-covered fiberboard so they are quite bulky overall but in my studio look pretty nice and the tops are good work surfaces for finishing and mounting, at least those counters that aren't already covered with printers, computers, boxes of paper, and prints.
My church also has a collection of my photos that I've donated over the past dozen or so years. They are mostly under 24x36 in poly bags with oversize conservation board stiffeners. Mostly these are enlarged "gang sheets"–oversize "contact" prints of 20-30 3.5x5 images shot as various feasts, funerals, baptisms and weddings. It's in another part of town and another printed archive of my work that's not just a small collection of pieces on the wall and scattered throughout my community.
Thank you so much for taking the time for a detailed response, Larry.
-
You folks inspire me.
I need to re-design my photography room. Get rid of current tables and a desk, and replace it with custom built spaces to hold two printers and scanner, computer/monitor which would be the easy part and papers, photographs, frames, matts, paper cutter, Logan mat cutter, gator boards, camera equipment which is the hard part. Fortunately, lights and stands etc for portraits can stay in another part of the house.
I need to look at photos of how others have designed theirs to get some ideas, but that is a big ask.
Thank you so much for all the ideas. Chris, I did get a reasonable quote from Hahn for their model DBS-IS, but the shipping to New York was a killer. But the catalog was very interesting.
Thank you gentlemen. You have all been very helpful.
Have a great 2023.
-
U-line have a couple of sizes and their shipping was reasonable even by truck (too big for UPS)
https://www.uline.com/BL_71/Flat-File-Cabinets
-
U-line have a couple of sizes and their shipping was reasonable even by truck (too big for UPS)
https://www.uline.com/BL_71/Flat-File-Cabinets
Thank you! This looks very interesting. I will check it out.
-
I typically store the photos I've printed in the boxes that came with the paper. I don't think flat files are great unless they are all larger sized prints (say 24x36) as they will slide around a lot when you open or close them. In any case, it's a pain to look for something in the middle or bottom.
If you want to go more upscale than the photo paper boxes, I'd suggest clamshell boxes or something like a solander case (these seem to be available as large as 30x40 commercially). You could also have them custom made.
-
If you want to go more upscale than the photo paper boxes, I'd suggest clamshell boxes or something like a solander case (these seem to be available as large as 30x40 commercially). You could also have them custom made.
That is an excellent idea. I wonder if someone makes custom boxes with engraved name in the front.
Thanks, something I need to research further.
Archival Methods seems to be an option.
-
My wife had a custom leather clamshell box made with my name engraved on it. The fit was perfect and the prints fit exactly with no slack but not too tight either. She went to a bookbinder to have this done.
-
My wife had a custom leather clamshell box made with my name engraved on it. The fit was perfect and the prints fit exactly with no slack but not too tight either. She went to a bookbinder to have this done.
I just came across this site:
https://kloportfolios.com/product-details/custom-screwpost-portfolio-book/
It is pricey, but a really elegant way to show off photographs. And they could then be put on custom shelves.
-
These look gorgeous:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189934350/portfolio-book-case-bamboo-amber-11x17
-
Archival Methods seems to be an option.
Indeed:
https://www.archivalmethods.com/product/flat-storage-box
-
My wife got the box from Don Drake: http://www.dreamingmind.com/read/boxes/343 It is fantastic and a great way of storing photos for display when guests come over (you can't really do the same with a flat file).
-
Indeed:
https://www.archivalmethods.com/product/flat-storage-box
Thanks, I have been checking them out. Very cost effective.
-
My wife got the box from Don Drake: http://www.dreamingmind.com/read/boxes/343 It is fantastic and a great way of storing photos for display when guests come over (you can't really do the same with a flat file).
These look great! I will check the pricing and options.
-
As an artist using algorithmic techniques to generate images, I have no shortage of files. A recent series began with over 16K files, pared down to 55 prints. Deciding what to print can take years, so it's not unlike going through old photos.
I use several strategies for storage. Flat files are useful, but they pose certain hazards. Wooden drawers can shed sawdust as they slide in and out. Paper in steel drawers slips around more than in wooden ones. Flat files for big prints really need drawers with a good suspension, which means some expense, but that's better than drawers that jam or skip the track. It's an investment in preservation.
That said, flat files can damage paper when stacks of paper shift. Paper can get caught in the back of the drawer, or bend when you load or unload prints. Prints that slide over one another can scuff the ink layer. I combat these problems a few ways, not always consistently. Most of these have been mentioned, but I like making lists:
- Protective spray varnish. Particularly for the "artist proofs," that serve as my reference for later, on-demand prints, I protect every print.
- Interleaving. I put archival interleaving paper between prints. This will further minimize scuffing.
- Wrapping. In the flat files, I wrap editions in archival paper to keep them together for taking out and to prevent them from slipping.
- Envelopes. I keep some prints in clear plastic envelopes, but now less than I used to. I always use envelopes for shipping.
- Boxing. Outside the flat files I use archival boxes. Prints in the boxes may be wrapped and interleaved, too. I favor drop-front boxes, or any other design where you don't dig into the box to pull out a stack of prints. A strip of paper under or around a series can also help. Boxes go onto shelves in my studio space.
- Framing. I should do more of this, but storage of frames also becomes an issue. I have rows of them on deep shelves. I prefer plexi over glass, both for the weight and the potential breakage.
I use protective sprays from Hahnemühle and Moab, for matte papers, which is pretty much all I print on. Photo paper will probably use different products.
I will mention Gaylord Archival, https://www.gaylord.com/, a library preservation supplies company, as another place to look for flat files, boxes, interleaving papers, etc. They also have some good informational resources on preservation.
-
As an artist using algorithmic techniques to generate images, I have no shortage of files. A recent series began with over 16K files, pared down to 55 prints. Deciding what to print can take years, so it's not unlike going through old photos.
I use several strategies for storage. Flat files are useful, but they pose certain hazards. Wooden drawers can shed sawdust as they slide in and out. Paper in steel drawers slips around more than in wooden ones. Flat files for big prints really need drawers with a good suspension, which means some expense, but that's better than drawers that jam or skip the track. It's an investment in preservation.
That said, flat files can damage paper when stacks of paper shift. Paper can get caught in the back of the drawer, or bend when you load or unload prints. Prints that slide over one another can scuff the ink layer. I combat these problems a few ways, not always consistently. Most of these have been mentioned, but I like making lists:
- Protective spray varnish. Particularly for the "artist proofs," that serve as my reference for later, on-demand prints, I protect every print.
- Interleaving. I put archival interleaving paper between prints. This will further minimize scuffing.
- Wrapping. In the flat files, I wrap editions in archival paper to keep them together for taking out and to prevent them from slipping.
- Envelopes. I keep some prints in clear plastic envelopes, but now less than I used to. I always use envelopes for shipping.
- Boxing. Outside the flat files I use archival boxes. Prints in the boxes may be wrapped and interleaved, too. I favor drop-front boxes, or any other design where you don't dig into the box to pull out a stack of prints. A strip of paper under or around a series can also help. Boxes go onto shelves in my studio space.
- Framing. I should do more of this, but storage of frames also becomes an issue. I have rows of them on deep shelves. I prefer plexi over glass, both for the weight and the potential breakage.
I use protective sprays from Hahnemühle and Moab, for matte papers, which is pretty much all I print on. Photo paper will probably use different products.
I will mention Gaylord Archival, https://www.gaylord.com/, a library preservation supplies company, as another place to look for flat files, boxes, interleaving papers, etc. They also have some good informational resources on preservation.
Ignotus, thank you so much for taking the time for a detailed analysis.
This is valuable guidance and I need to adapt as much of this as I can. I will check out the Gaylord site.
Again, much appreciated!
-
The photos I like are printed and hung on the wall. When I get tired of looking at them they go in the trash and I print something else. I don't store anything except the original digital files.
-
I had several large portfolios from art school. They held 20”x24” art boards and had a zipper and handle. When looking for alternatives, I found:
(https://i0.wp.com/aosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/VFile43-875x650.jpg)
Not archival, but I like the concept.
https://aosystems.com/product-directory-advanced-organizing-systems/
-
Indeed:
https://www.archivalmethods.com/product/flat-storage-box
Thanks Chris. I did get this one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889821-REG/Archival_Methods_10_131_Onyx_Portfolio_Box_17_0x22_0x2_0.html
-
I had several large portfolios from art school. They held 20”x24” art boards and had a zipper and handle. When looking for alternatives, I found:
(https://i0.wp.com/aosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/VFile43-875x650.jpg)
Not archival, but I like the concept.
https://aosystems.com/product-directory-advanced-organizing-systems/
Yes, this is quite unusual. Never seen it before. Thanks.
-
This is another interesting idea, if the folios were available ready made:
https://www.lenswork.com/workshops/FolioSample5/FolioSample5.html