Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Vieri Bottazzini on December 22, 2022, 10:50:37 am
-
Hey everyone! I just got back from over two weeks in the US leading Workshops, a week in Death Valley and one around the Southwest, and while I don't have any new images done yet, since I used my Phase One IQ4 Achromatic back pretty much exclusively during the trip, I got inspired to share some old B&W work from Death Valley. Can't wait to be back to Death Valley in less than a month!
(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/645Z_12129.jpg)
Pentax 645Z, 28-45mm at 45mm, 150 seconds, f/16
(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/SL_02230.jpg)
Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide Heliar III, 5 minutes, f/11
(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/SL_02109.jpg)
Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide Heliar III, 2 minutes, f/11
(https://www.vieribottazzini.com/wp-content/uploads/S007_01376.jpg)
Leica S (Typ 007), Leica 30-90mm at 75mm, 1/60 seconds, f/16
Thank you for viewing, best regards
Vieri
-
Love the black and white. IMHO, I find the skies in the first 3 somewhat overpowering, drawing the eye away for the landscape. I do not know how much post processing you did.
The detail in the land in the first shot is superb.
Thanks for sharing them.
Jonathan
-
I think the first shot is great- home run. I guess I like the contrast and the way it feels invokes a certain sense of dark skies.
-
Love the black and white. IMHO, I find the skies in the first 3 somewhat overpowering, drawing the eye away for the landscape. I do not know how much post processing you did.
The detail in the land in the first shot is superb.
Thanks for sharing them.
Jonathan
Hey Johnathan, thank you for your comment. For me, in all of these images the sky is not complimentary to the landscape, is an integral - and equally important - part of the image, and therefore needs the "visual power" it got. In the first, the clouds mimic the badlands below, and help framing Manley Beacon in a dark(er) frame; in the second, the clouds' softness and rolling movement are in contrast with the playa's mud cracks, while adding leading lines to the rock that complement the stone's track; in the third, the speedy movement and dynamism of the clouds are in contrast with the sharp salt structures. In all three images, this is done on purpose to create and convey moods and feelings.
All that said, this doesn't change the fact that not everyone might like them, and I am perfectly fine with it - I know perfectly well that I can't please everyone (nor would I want to).
I think the first shot is great- home run. I guess I like the contrast and the way it feels invokes a certain sense of dark skies.
Hey Smoothjazz, thank you very much, i am glad you enjoyed it and the dark mood of it! :)
Best regards,
Vieri
-
Great images love your B&W
-
Beautiful set for this dramatic location. I would say that the sky is just another strong element in these images but, depending on how the viewer interprets the photos, Jonathan has a point. Me, I like the skies and my eyes are feasting on the whole images…
-
I love hese images.
Death Valley is a fantastic place.
-
All very nice, Vierri! Makes me want to go down to Death Valley and get some new pix now that I haven't been shooting there in years...
-
Great images love your B&W
Thank you very much indeed, so glad you enjoyed them! :)
Beautiful set for this dramatic location. I would say that the sky is just another strong element in these images but, depending on how the viewer interprets the photos, Jonathan has a point. Me, I like the skies and my eyes are feasting on the whole images…
Hey Francois, thank you very much, glad you liked them! Yes indeed, everyone's taste is different of course, and I have no problem with that at all :)
I love hese images.
Death Valley is a fantastic place.
Hey Eric, thank you very much! Yes, Death Valley is truly a magnificent place, and I am glad you enjoyed my take on it! :)
All very nice, Vierri! Makes me want to go down to Death Valley and get some new pix now that I haven't been shooting there in years...
Thank you very much langlier, happy you liked them! Yes, you should, and I totally understand you: I am never tired of going back to Death Valley! :)
Best regards,
Vieri