Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: bruceinalaska on December 19, 2022, 06:04:32 am

Title: Using the GFX 100S below 32 deg F (0 deg C)
Post by: bruceinalaska on December 19, 2022, 06:04:32 am
I've had my GFX 100S since the end of November.  It's been below freezing here in Alaska since I purchased the camera.  The camera is officially rated to 32 deg F.  All of my other camera (Nikon D800E, D81, D850) are similarly rated, but all work well at least down to single digit Fahrenheit, the coldest that I've used them.  However, my GFX 100S seems to blank out briefly now and then when it gets cold.  The rear LCD goes blank for seconds at a time.  I've had a fresh battery in the camera and so I don't think this is the issue.

Does anyone else have experience with the GFX 100S in cold weather?  Do you have any recommendations (besides moving south)?

Thanks,
Bruce
Title: Re: Using the GFX 100S below 32 deg F (0 deg C)
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 20, 2022, 05:08:04 pm
I've had my GFX 100S since the end of November.  It's been below freezing here in Alaska since I purchased the camera.  The camera is officially rated to 32 deg F.  All of my other camera (Nikon D800E, D81, D850) are similarly rated, but all work well at least down to single digit Fahrenheit, the coldest that I've used them.  However, my GFX 100S seems to blank out briefly now and then when it gets cold.  The rear LCD goes blank for seconds at a time.  I've had a fresh battery in the camera and so I don't think this is the issue.

Does anyone else have experience with the GFX 100S in cold weather?  Do you have any recommendations (besides moving south)?

The coldest I have shot the GFX100s is -5C and things were fine.

But overall I have come to accept the fact that the Fuji isn’t as well rounded, rugged and refined as my Nikons.

Cheers,
Bernsrd
Title: Re: Using the GFX 100S below 32 deg F (0 deg C)
Post by: maddogmurph on April 08, 2023, 04:00:18 pm
I shot my 100s down to -30 and it was fine. The batteries last about 1/4 the time they would normally, but if you put them in your pocket and heat them up, they get a little more life as you rotate through. Don't ever let the batteries get too cold, I'd even suggest rotating them as you shoot to keep them warmer perhaps. My Fuji, after this experience however, in normal shooting now seems to have a glitch where sometimes when I'm shooting, it simply stalls out and doesn't take the shot. Maybe 1 out of 100 shots. I'll probably end up sending the damn thing to Fuji for diagnostics, but the problem is obviously somewhat challenging to replicate as it does it seldomly while shooting, and essentially the camera is still usable and functioning.