Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Kleebird on November 28, 2022, 05:07:15 pm

Title: What are you driving?
Post by: Kleebird on November 28, 2022, 05:07:15 pm
When you’re driving out to your favorite location for the day or weekend or week, what are you driving and how have you equipped it for serious landscape photography?  A picture is worth….

Thanks.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: Kleebird on November 29, 2022, 08:51:18 am
Before Covid and supply chain price increases hit, I was researching a campervan as an alternative to my ageing SUV for not only hauling my gear but serving as a sort of base camp.  I’m curious to know if others have gone this route.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: kers on November 29, 2022, 11:36:11 am
a bicycle
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: AndrewMcD on December 04, 2022, 07:05:44 pm
I had an old square body suburban 2500 4x4 for about 25 years. It was terrible on gas, but it had a 40 gallon tank, I could sleep in it, stand on it, I could get most places, it survived a flash flood in the mojave, drove it through Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, and it was perfect for hauling a camp to that thing in the desert around labor day. 300k miles and finally blew a head gasket and the heater core cracked. Body and interior were in great shape, sold it to a friend who has fixed it and it's still going strong. It was an overlander long before that term came into vogue. Now, I have a toyota.

I'd get an EV, but, I'd get to the edge of the desert and then have to leave it because there's no charging in the middle of nowhere. Waiting for hydrogen fuel cell in my next life.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: maddogmurph on April 09, 2023, 04:19:31 pm
Porsche Cayenne - lifted 5" on 34" tires
Toyota 4runner offroad lifted 3" on stock tires with a rooftop tent

Recommendations:

GX470 Lexus w/ 3" lift on 33" tires
Nissan Xterra w/ Titan Swap
Jeep 2.7T D liberty w/ 2" lift
Jeep KJ Wrangler Diesel on 35" tires
Defender
Raptor Bronco

For comfort and not as capable there is no competition really for the Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 van.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: BAB on November 24, 2023, 06:03:29 pm
Check this out nothing beats it IMHO
https://www.motor1.com/news/666727/mitsubishi-fuso-overlander-video/
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: degrub on November 24, 2023, 08:38:40 pm
my ancient Yugo.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: MattBurt on November 27, 2023, 12:51:29 pm
Depends on the location. If it's not too far I'll ride a bike or even ski.
For easy access shooting via pavement or graded dirt roads I'll drive our Subaru Crosstrek. It's great in snow, gets decent mileage, and is nice for highway travel.
For offroad access I have a 2007 Tacoma with a AT Overland Summit camper. It's pretty minimal as a camper but that keeps the truck doing well for 4x4 because it's so light (~400 Lbs).

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52973918162_fa085af63b_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2oH8bhA)
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: macfly on December 21, 2023, 03:08:16 pm
Ford F350 4x4
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: northerngal on December 22, 2023, 10:21:34 pm
Most of the time, which means my daytrips, I'm in my Jeep.  It's good for just one person.  Kinda crowded for two people!
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: mfullana on December 26, 2023, 09:38:12 am
I use a Class C RV with a Kawasaki KLX250 on a bumper hitch. I use the RV as a base camp and ride the motorcycle to get to photo spots.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: macfly on January 10, 2024, 02:32:42 pm
There is yet another awful New World Order/WEF dictate heading our way, this one is called 30-30. What it essentially means is that the BLM is being allowed to close our public lands and sell them off to Wall Street to be developed as they see fit.

There is one organization fighting to save our lands, so as a landscape lover I ask everyone to join up, even if just to add your voices to the many petitions they efficiently prepare.

https://www.sharetrails.org/release-blueribbon-coalition-supports-the-historic-roadways-protection-act/?emci=22359259-45ab-ee11-bea1-0022482237da&emdi=233e74ab-39ac-ee11-bea1-0022482237da&ceid=14327159
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: StephaneB on August 20, 2024, 05:40:02 am
VW Touareg, capable of anything useful, highway, commute, offroad, towing. To stay near remote location I tow a caravan that I leave on a camp site.

This is in Europe.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: Benny Profane on December 22, 2024, 11:04:50 am
Depends on the location. If it's not too far I'll ride a bike or even ski.
For easy access shooting via pavement or graded dirt roads I'll drive our Subaru Crosstrek. It's great in snow, gets decent mileage, and is nice for highway travel.
For offroad access I have a 2007 Tacoma with a AT Overland Summit camper. It's pretty minimal as a camper but that keeps the truck doing well for 4x4 because it's so light (~400 Lbs).

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52973918162_fa085af63b_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2oH8bhA)

Crosstek is the best value. Plenty of clearance. Replace the tires with something more agressive, put some skid plates on, which I think Subaru sells now that they have that new "Adventure" option in a lot of their models.

Second choice is a 4Runner. Man. I rented one of those and went into Death Valley a few years ago. Awesome, solid machine. But, more expensive than the Crosstek. But, you can sleep in it.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: guido on January 04, 2025, 11:14:38 am
I have been using a Toyota Tacoma 6' bed access cab with a commercial cap. I built a platform for sleeping with a long drawer for storage. I added some foam insulation to dampen the resonance of the cap in the rain, but it still is pretty chilling in cold wet conditions and the lack of amenities is starting to get old (or maybe I'm just getting too old...). So I'm selling off the truck and heading for a Ram Promaster conversion. The plan is for a practical low frills built that resolves the pain points of the current setup while extending the comfortable range for longer photo trips. It will be less capable for pure offroading, but have better road manners and live ability.
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: Kleebird on January 05, 2025, 02:07:46 pm
I’m thinking along the same lines.  Minimal conversion of a Promaster or Transit.  Photo gear storage, bench to bed work surface for prepping a shoot, cassette toilet and a cooler. 
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: maddogmurph on June 20, 2025, 08:45:34 pm
Update to this. Toyota 4runner. If any of those fancy cars break deep in the back country in a no name town, good luck getting it repaired (for example my old Porsche or a Toureg).
Title: Re: What are you driving?
Post by: MattBurt on June 26, 2025, 12:38:50 pm
Update to this. Toyota 4runner. If any of those fancy cars break deep in the back country in a no name town, good luck getting it repaired (for example my old Porsche or a Toureg).

Can confirm. I live in a town like that. People with more exotic cars often have to have them serviced in Denver which is 200 miles away!
Even my Subarus and Toyota need to go to the next bigger town 65 miles away for dealer service.