Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on October 10, 2022, 10:51:57 am

Title: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Post by: Bob_B on October 10, 2022, 10:51:57 am
We are well into the fall southward migration in Maryland. One of the species that's a return customer to my backyard (and its birch tree) is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius). I spied this one feasting on the sap oozing from his newly made hole in the birch bark. The tree has survived many such drillings in the past and I suspect it will weather the latest onslaught from this fellow.

Please feel free to offer your comments and suggestions. Thanks for stopping by.
Title: Re: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Post by: David Eckels on October 10, 2022, 12:22:17 pm
Nice bird "portrait" but the blown area is very dominant. Have you considered a square crop to eliminate the large blown highlights? You could then clone that very small area. I realize the lighting is difficult. Just a thought.
Title: Re: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Post by: Bob_B on October 10, 2022, 02:04:59 pm
Thanks, David. I tried 5 or 6 different methods before giving up mitigating the blown-out area. (Cropping ruined the look I wanted.) But, after reading your comment, I went back and tried again. While I'm not 100% sure, I think using content aware fill plus a carefully applied mask might work! If successful, I'll post the revised photo here.
Title: Re: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Post by: Bob_B on October 11, 2022, 08:51:02 am
Once again, thank you to David (and Rajan, through my blog comments) for suggesting this edit.
Title: Re: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Post by: David Eckels on October 11, 2022, 10:02:43 am
Oh yes! Much improved; well done, too.