Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mark Nadler on September 13, 2022, 04:39:39 pm

Title: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 13, 2022, 04:39:39 pm
Last year I was in Nebraska looking for Cranes.  One afternoon the weather turned nasty and I took a picture of this farm.

Mark
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 13, 2022, 05:02:59 pm
A fine shot.
Probably more dramatic than cranes.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: John R on September 13, 2022, 06:23:06 pm
Lovely. I also think it would make a great pano-scape, to bring to the fore even more, the fine misty coloured atmosphere.

JR
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: degrub on September 13, 2022, 07:55:01 pm
The Audubon Society has a crane preserve just East of Kearney on the Platte. There are hides they use for counting and observation during the migration. Sandhill and and few Whooping Cranes. Contact them and they might allow you access.
They also have a "crane cam" set up for those across the internet.

https://explore.org/livecams/national-audubon-society/crane-camera
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 13, 2022, 11:52:06 pm
Eric, thank you for your kind words.

John R, thanks for your suggestion.

degrub, I appreciate the information.  I came across a lot of cranes and I took a zillion pictures.  Not one was a keeper.  Very frustrating.  We plan on returning.  It was cool just to see so many cranes in one location.

mark
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: degrub on September 14, 2022, 09:18:54 am
If you want more detail in the flocks, try a 500mm lens.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 14, 2022, 10:10:13 am
degrub, I was shooting a 500 mm lens plus I have a 1.4 teleconverter.  All of my images looked like snapshots.  It probably sounds ridulous but I think I was overwhelmed by seeing clouds of cranes. 

mark
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: degrub on September 14, 2022, 10:40:48 am
yeah, it is impressive when they are swirling around you. Capturing that on camera is really hard.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: PeterAit on September 14, 2022, 10:41:16 am
Last year I was in Nebraska looking for Cranes.  One afternoon the weather turned nasty and I took a picture of this farm.

Mark

Spooky light! Very nice.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: francois on September 14, 2022, 11:51:04 am
Just like a painting… An exquisite sky with dramatic clouds are perfect for this rural vista.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: David Eckels on September 14, 2022, 06:37:04 pm
Just like a painting… An exquisite sky with dramatic clouds are perfect for this rural vista.
Yup, pure art.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Bob_B on September 15, 2022, 08:25:10 am
That's beautiful!
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 15, 2022, 08:29:50 am
Try converting to sRGB space for posting here. Currently, the thumbnail has a completely different tonality.
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 15, 2022, 04:12:37 pm
PeterAlt, "spooky light" is why I took this picture. 

francois, thank you for your wonderful words.

David Eckels, thank you for proving to my wife that once in a while I capture an artistic image. 

Bob_B, I appreciate your kind words.

Slobodan,  I think I am following your instructions.  I am downloading my images off of Flickr using their large format option.  I will be super conscious next time I post a picture.

mark
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: MattBurt on September 16, 2022, 12:52:47 am
Nice shot! I've also been challenged with cranes when they gather here in Colorado. Nice backdrops but I also feel like I have never really nailed a crane shot. One day...
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 16, 2022, 12:23:43 pm
Hey, MattBurt, yeah, when I returned home I went through my pictures and not one was a wall hanger.  I had the same problem when hunting quail.  I would flush a zillion birds and not hit one.  Weird.

mark
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: degrub on September 17, 2022, 08:35:20 am
yeah, i had the same problem with teal - shooting at the flock instead of a single bird. there is more empty space than one would think but the birdshot never lies  ;D
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: kers on September 17, 2022, 12:12:13 pm
you caught the atmosphere very well! the birds in the distance are important in it i find ( cranes?)
but i see the photo is made by Karm Redland... how come?
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 17, 2022, 02:15:07 pm
... but i see the photo is made by Karm Redland... how come?

Anagram?
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: kers on September 18, 2022, 04:15:57 am
Anagram?
one d too much
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 18, 2022, 04:29:04 am
one d too much

Anagram with a double d, then 😉
Title: Re: Nebraska Farm
Post by: Mark Nadler on September 18, 2022, 11:45:11 am
kers, Mark = Karm, Nadler=Redland (almost), for personal reasons

mark