Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: MattBurt on September 01, 2022, 11:09:28 am

Title: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: MattBurt on September 01, 2022, 11:09:28 am
A shot I took a few years ago was put in the "Wall of Fame" section of this month's Landscape Photography Magazine. I added it to their Flickr group and that counts as a submission.
I had a different image in mind when I went out that evening but found this tree as I was finding my spot for moonrise at our local recreation area, Hartman Rocks. After shooting the moon closer to the mountains from a higher point I got down into a little ravine to get the angle right for this alignment. I had to back into some brush and contort a little to line it up. I wanted to focus stack this but the moon was moving too quickly to do it with my old manual focus lens (that incidentally went out of production when I was in 7th grade).
Despite the softness of the background I liked how the shot came out and I'm apparently not the only one. Always fun to see my efforts get appreciated out there!

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49058354582_16cff6b1cc_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2hK7TDG)
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: francois on September 02, 2022, 05:49:18 am
Superb and unique… What a stunning shot. Great story also.
Bravo, Matt.
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 02, 2022, 11:38:27 am
Great shot, saw it in this month's issue of the LPM.
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: David Eckels on September 02, 2022, 01:24:02 pm
Superb and unique… What a stunning shot. Great story also.
Bravo, Matt.
👍🏻
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on September 03, 2022, 05:29:54 am
Beautiful. The background softness doesn't matter, probably even adds to the image by signaling depth. Only nit I have is the fringing around the moon. (Quick fix: make a new layer, add Gaussian Blur (~5 px or experiment with it), set the layer blend mode to Colour.)
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: petermfiore on September 03, 2022, 06:27:32 am
Were Luna and Frida present for the making of this wonderful photo?

Peter
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 03, 2022, 04:05:31 pm
Yup, that's a doozy  :)

Dave
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 03, 2022, 07:18:24 pm
Stunning!!!
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: Arlen on September 05, 2022, 01:55:05 pm
Congratulations, Matt. It is a really excellent capture.
Title: Re: LPM feature: Juniper Moon
Post by: MattBurt on September 05, 2022, 04:19:13 pm
Were Luna and Frida present for the making of this wonderful photo?

Peter

I think Luna was but Frida generally stays close to home. :)

Thanks everyone  for all the comments!

Rajan, I'll check that technique out.