Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: narikin on August 31, 2022, 01:25:30 pm
-
Saw an interesting show where the photographer had taped together two XL prints (e.g. two strips 72hx60w to make a 72x120" single sheet)
Him /his lab (in Europe) had done a great job, and although you could find the seam fairly easily, it was a great match up, and didn't interfere with viewing the image from regular distance.
Anyone here seen this done or have suggestions how, or... know of someone who does this as a printing service?
It was show as an exposed print - no frame or mount, just clip-hung on the wall, like a banner. very effective, and the only real cost was the print!
(or if someone knows of a company making 72x120" single sheets pigment prints at full photo resolution, be great to know who...)
Thanks.
-
Wild guesses.
A heavy matte paper (because nobody in their right minds clips lustre/gloss), printed from the beginning of the roll (because the tail end is so much fun). 64" printer and stock, with a generous overlap on the two printed panels. Trim one, with some overlap remaining, lay over second print and trim with a damned sharp scalpel through both paper for perfect alignment. possibly trim top or bottom border, to get horizontal alignment, or mark T&B on the reverse. If the print has a border, then trim T&B to border.
Filp print and place on the Big Table
Something along the lines of a linen hinging tape down the centre, and possibly around edges.
I'd bill something like this, assuming I had a 64" printer and a 6x10' printer as at least 400% of a 72x60 print, probably much more, as I'd factor in failure rate (400% increase), time and labour (at least 2 people). Unless I'd done this many times before, and had systems in place.
Real cost, the print & time & risk, plus packaging.
-
Thanks for good guesses.
Yes it was matte paper, I would say light-middleweight, rather than heavyweight.
It had an overlap in there for the taping-seam, maybe ½ to ¾". It was near invisible tho, (not heavyweight)
Very well done. Clearly someone had gotten it down!
Agree with your steps though. It was very effective, just hanging there on the wall.
Am looking at SwissQ outputs, though I'd rather use my 64" P20000, and print myself.
-
Qimage will allow you to print images in ‘poster’ mode, which can be placed side-by-side, with no overlap.
Here is an example video…
https://youtu.be/3Nood4cEve8
-
You might even run a large "standard" roll of 1 large sheet if available, or 2 to 3 panels of paper along the entire back to cover seams and less see through transparency for certain lights and weights of paper.
With the backing paper you could integrate any wire/fishing line on either side for hanging.
-
Certainly do able I guess.
We would run it on our 64" solvent on canvas or banner material. With a max of 64" times whatever length. Great resolution.
Any reason it has to be pigment on paper?
Not sure if it is being hung where people can touch it but if it is touchable no doubt someone will put their sticky fingers on it. Another good reason for canvas.
-
Interesting...
for photos I would do the opposite, specially for people viewing from close, I would not want a textured surface like a canvas, and aim for highest detail smooth stock.
A simple coating if need be can keep that ONE curious mind wanting to touch it safe from ruining things. Also, that canvas would get heavy and might put the adhesive on more stress, though I am sure with the right adhesive this shouldn't be a problem.
-
Im assuming you may be talking about Wolfgang Tillmans' oversized matte prints-- he's very particular about using that paper and I believe they used to do that process for him at Grieger in Germany.... they're so damn sensitive to any scuffing i'd imagine they have to reject quite a lot of them...
-
Im assuming you may be talking about Wolfgang Tillmans' oversized matte prints-- he's very particular about using that paper and I believe they used to do that process for him at Grieger in Germany.... they're so damn sensitive to any scuffing i'd imagine they have to reject quite a lot of them...
Interesting. I didn't think he used Grieger, but you may be right.
Laumont in NYC seem to be dropping the ball on much of the potential for this in USA.
Big show of Tillmans opening in NYC this week, so a chance to check them out.
Just wish the images he mega-enlarges were more interesting.
-
Just remembered, if you're after monochrome, Jon Cone did the Gregory Colbert prints - 94x186".
https://www.cone-editions.com/about#history