Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Frans Waterlander on August 29, 2022, 08:07:56 pm

Title: Old wheel
Post by: Frans Waterlander on August 29, 2022, 08:07:56 pm
My aim was to make this image look halfway between regular B&W and B&W pen and ink drawing. Comments are very welcome.

Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: Frans Waterlander on August 30, 2022, 08:57:19 pm
Appreciate your comments, Dave. I'm afraid that tighter cropping would make the wheel too much boxed-in. Pen and ink is in it's simplest form a drawing made with an ink pen. Often, an ink wash is added: ink is diluted and then applied with a brush.
Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: MattBurt on August 31, 2022, 11:41:54 am
I like the wheel too but agree about too much chaos.
Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: francois on September 01, 2022, 03:52:41 am
The wheel itself is very nice but it's true that the whole scene is not to the wheel's advantage. As for the B&W pen effect, as it is, I feel that it looks more like a traditional B&W processing (but I'm not an expert in B&W… more like a novice).
Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: Frans Waterlander on September 01, 2022, 11:35:38 am
Yes, there is chaos around the wheel, that's what the scene was, chaotic, so that's what you see, like it or not.
Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: francois on September 02, 2022, 05:18:33 am
Yes, there is chaos around the wheel, that's what the scene was, chaotic, so that's what you see, like it or not.

If your goal was to depict chaos then you got it perfectly. I only found that the wheel was a bit lost in the bushes and mechanical parts. ;-)
Title: Re: Old wheel
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 03, 2022, 07:59:13 pm
I find the chaotic surroundings give an enriching context to the wheel.
I like it just the way it is.