Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 27, 2022, 10:44:33 am

Title: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 27, 2022, 10:44:33 am
.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: degrub on August 27, 2022, 10:57:51 am
The luminous area to the right on the trunk is distracting if you want to focus on the leaf. i don't know if you can reduce it or just crop to remove.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: francois on August 29, 2022, 03:54:22 am
I like it a lot. The leaf looks like a tongue that sticks out of the tree. Degrub has a point about the light area on the right but it doesn't bother me much, to be fair.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 29, 2022, 09:22:00 am
Thanks Francois. I thought about degrub's concern and concluded the light spot on the trunk provided a certain context of chaos, which I have been thinking about lately. And as I looked at the image, I could only come up with that one perfect leaf as a focal point of simplicity. So I posted this here to see how folks reacted. I always get great feedback here.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 29, 2022, 05:52:38 pm
TMI ;)
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 29, 2022, 06:32:53 pm
TMI ;)
;D ;D ;D LMAO! That is a great critique. Thank you.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 30, 2022, 07:30:44 am
I can show you, with your permission, what I would have done with the image?
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: petermfiore on August 30, 2022, 11:46:27 am
It has excellent bones, but the entire photo needs to be deeper in value.

Peter
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 30, 2022, 04:06:36 pm
Below is one possibility to bring more focus to the leaf ;)
But I am intrigued by Slobodan's and Peter's comments.
I'd love to see what you would have done, Slobodan. Please.
Peter, I don't know what you mean by "deeper in value." Can you elaborate, please.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 30, 2022, 04:13:13 pm
Given the popularity of Instagram Stories* format (16:9), I see it that way more and more often.

I included the two leaves in the upper left corner and then the two in the lower right one, for balance. Also lightened them a bit, whild bringing down highlights in the main leaf simultaneously.


* sorry, boomers, google it  ;)
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 30, 2022, 04:14:27 pm
Below is one possibility to bring more focus to the leaf ;)
...

Sure, that's a possibility. Looks good.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 30, 2022, 07:24:23 pm
I like your approach, especially since I liked those leaves upper LOF and wanted to include them in the original, but didn't think of the framing possibility you have come up with. I should learn to pay better attention to what my mind is telling me! Your version is so much less chaotic and keeps the mystery. Wouldn't this be 9:16 by the way? ;) Thanks Slobodan for showing me this; it teaches me to always consider shifting my frame of view ;D
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: petermfiore on August 31, 2022, 05:39:41 pm
Deeper darker down...

Peter
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on August 31, 2022, 07:52:03 pm
Another great lesson! Thank you, Peter. This too, I would not have thought of. In yours, the two light areas become a dialogue. I like the toning too. Wish I'd seen this possibility sooner.  But maybe next time.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: francois on September 01, 2022, 04:00:48 am
So many interesting interpretations but the source image was superb!
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: petermfiore on September 01, 2022, 12:27:17 pm
The term Deeper Darker Down, I believe, was coined by Eugene Smith. However, most B&W greats adhere to this idea. I have used this concept almost all of my life in printing.

Peter
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on September 01, 2022, 06:21:45 pm
Thanks, Peter, I can see why. So following on with the original, I took it "Deep Dark Down" and cleaned up the right edge and brought the luminosity of the splash of light on the trunk closer to that of the leaf. I added what I hope is a modest amount of toning to the dark tones and a warming filter to the highlights. Maybe it is still too chaotic, but I think it holds together better this way. Francois is right:
So many interesting interpretations but the source image was superb!
Thank you, Francois.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: degrub on September 02, 2022, 11:34:15 am
Now the ordered leaf and leafed branches are in "tension" with the chaotic bare branch area. Much better imo.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on September 02, 2022, 01:21:00 pm
Now the ordered leaf and leafed branches are in "tension" with the chaotic bare branch area. Much better imo.
Thanks degrub. Always appreciate your helpful criticisms. It always helps me to see through others' eyes.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 03, 2022, 07:52:04 pm
The series of suggested versions is quite instructive.
Title: Re: One perfect leaf
Post by: David Eckels on September 04, 2022, 09:26:50 am
The series of suggested versions is quite instructive.
Absolutely!