Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: felix5616 on August 18, 2022, 03:58:04 pm

Title: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: felix5616 on August 18, 2022, 03:58:04 pm
looking for a matte finish spray/protectant for inkjet prints. Suggestions appeciated
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: PeterAit on August 18, 2022, 04:34:17 pm
looking for a matte finish spray/protectant for inkjet prints. Suggestions appeciated

We've been using Premier Print Shield with great success.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: RaffiCoffee on August 18, 2022, 06:03:17 pm
Aquanet
jk

Print shield does work well. Blair 301 Matte also works well. Better than Artboard fixative.
I have tried Krylon, Valspar and Rustolium for testing, and Valspar didn't yellow. Just that it is more Satin than matte.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on August 24, 2022, 03:14:35 am
Glossy or matte papers to spray?

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on August 30, 2022, 01:41:13 pm
matte papers

Better use a glossy or satin spray then. Smaller particles will penetrate the paper so the print holds it matte appearance and the image is less affected on dynamic range.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: MfAlab on August 30, 2022, 09:45:10 pm
I've tested over 30 fixatives last year. short answer: PremierArt Print Shield is a good choice.

If anybody is interested, I could post some test data.

Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: TheNinth on August 31, 2022, 05:17:09 am
If anybody is interested, I could post some test data.

I‘d be interested!

So far I only used the Hahnemühle Protective Spray on their own papers and have been happy with it, but of course having never tried anything else I don‘t know what I am missing. I am doing photo albums with that paper, so it is exposed to touch and therefore good protection is especially important.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: deanwork on August 31, 2022, 08:36:24 am
Premiere Art, Hahnemuehle, and Moab Desert Varnish produce the same results. They may be made in the same place, don’t know. I’ve used them all for many years.

Any differences I’ve found are in the spray nozzles. I’ve found the Moab nozzles are the most reliable, while I’ve experienced more spotty results over many years with the Premiere Art cans than the others, though I haven’t used Hah spray in a few years. I often have to take the nozzle cap from one can and put it on another to get an even spray Premiere Art.




quote author=TheNinth link=topic=141279.msg1245308#msg1245308 date=1661937429]
I‘d be interested!

So far I only used the Hahnemühle Protective Spray on their own papers and have been happy with it, but of course having never tried anything else I don‘t know what I am missing. I am doing photo albums with that paper, so it is exposed to touch and therefore good protection is especially important.
[/quote]
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: MfAlab on September 01, 2022, 01:54:02 am
I‘d be interested!

I'll share some test data and my opinion soon.

Premiere Art, Hahnemuehle, and Moab Desert Varnish produce the same results. They may be made in the same place, don’t know. I’ve used them all for many years.

Any differences I’ve found are in the spray nozzles. I’ve found the Moab nozzles are the most reliable, while I’ve experienced more spotty results over many years with the Premiere Art cans than the others, though I haven’t used Hah spray in a few years. I often have to take the nozzle cap from one can and put it on another to get an even spray Premiere Art.

Yes, these 3 fixatives are very similar. And I totally agree with the terrible nozzle of hahnemuhle cans. I strongly recommend to keep some rare hahnemuhle's good caps, or replace it with other caps sold by paints brands.
Title: Re: Matte Finish Photo spray
Post by: MfAlab on March 15, 2023, 12:15:31 am
Sorry for the delay. I finally made all the test works into a completely review. I'm a Taiwanese and I wrote it in Chinese Traditional. The English version was translated by DeepL. Everybody could download the preview freely:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhVBFmU_JCqjibAjsj35nujowidd6g (https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhVBFmU_JCqjibAjsj35nujowidd6g)

Any feedback is welcome.